Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What will pull deer to an area

What will pull deer to an area

Morning guys
    I'm sat in my hightseat last night and the farmer nips over in tractor to let me know he's going to be cutting the strip of grass in front of my seat over the weekend
    No problem matey says I
    Then he says to me is there anything I can spray on or any seed I can chuck about on this end ya shoot that will encourage the deer to this area ?
    So does anyone know what I can get "chucked about" to encourage roe to an area please ?
    Cheers
    JimmyAttachment 73799
    Last edited by jimmy milnes; 27-08-2016 at 06:04.
    Next time you're walking down the street and see a homeless person go buy them a sandwich and a coffee, change of fate and it could be you one day !!!

BUY BRITISH !!!!

Stubble turnips are usually easy to establish and Roe love them.

regards

BP

Quote Originally Posted by Ben P View Post
    Stubble turnips are usually easy to establish and Roe love them.

regards

BP
    Cheers Ben
    Don't think he wants the effort of ploughing or the like Ben so would the seeds take if just spread from back of the tractor?
    Next time you're walking down the street and see a homeless person go buy them a sandwich and a coffee, change of fate and it could be you one day !!!

BUY BRITISH !!!!

What about a salt lick?

Quote Originally Posted by VSS View Post
    What about a salt lick?
    Cheers
    Tried the paste from bush ware but didn't really have much effect I thought but I could try again with blocks dripping down the tree trunks "nothing ventured eh"

BUY BRITISH !!!!

I was thinking more of a big lump of natural rock salt such as you could get from an agricultural merchant. One piece will last for years, most likely.

Move your high seat.

They will congregate in droves where it was...

Stubble turnips are a catch crop and can just be broadcast/handsown on top if the soil ie like in a stubble field u just chuck them about with no tillage.

Not sure if would grow as well when scattered over grass thou and don't know if the farmer would want them too, esp if cutting for silage.

I put some salt licks out a few years ago in snow, could see deer tracks ad put blocks a few feet to the side, deer continued to walk track not even moving the few feet to block.
    Sat out for months unused

Hi

Pretty sure the mineral block type licks have to be located so as to dribble down a tree trunk, or equivalent post, when wetted - seen many replaced and a veritable 'motorway' to/from these......

L

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy milnes View Post
    Cheers Ben
    Don't think he wants the effort of ploughing or the like Ben so would the seeds take if just spread from back of the tractor?

No problem, another option that is basically free and works in the spring is to cut a heap of willow whips and branches up to 5ft tall.

Simply "plant" them in clumps and lines in an area of the grass that suits.

You will create an instant fraying attraction for passing bucks and after a month or 2 simply remove all the willow cuttings and the field will remain as before.

I experimented with this a few years ago and it worked well, brought in a good number of younger bucks keen to make their mark.

Obviously make it clear to the farmer your not planting trees and it will only work on fields clear of livestock.

Regards

BP