Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Gun stock care?

  1. #1

    Gun stock care?

    Morning people,
    Looking for some guidance on a product to use on my gun stock, I recently bought myself a beretta 692 black edition for my clay shooting and it has a lovely stock on it but it's starting to feel a little dry in places so I want to treat and protect it with something, the thing is it's a Matt finish along with the barrels etc and I want to keep it that way. Can anyone recomend a good quality product for treating and protecting the wood and keeping its Matt appearance? Possibly a wax?

    cheers BS

  2. #2
    SD Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    East Midlands M1/M69 Junction 21
    Posts
    4,132
    Hello, this isn't meant to be rude, so please don't take it as that. I'd actually ask either the importers, or Beretta USA, or Beretta direct in Italy to see what they advise.

    Years ago, most folk said use Connolly Leather Dressing on gun cases and cartridge bags. I asked Brady directly, as I'd just bought three of their pigskin cartridge bags, when it was still owned by Mr Brady. He said firmly "No, no, no!" as it strips the glue that sticks the hide to the gun case or gun bag lining. He told me Kao-Cho-Line tack dressing as it nourished but didn't attack the glue.

    So I'd ask the makers. In theory, as often in practice, they may know best their own product and how to care for it. And may have either a product they sell or promote for the purpose. Hope it helps!
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 27-08-2016 at 15:01.

  3. #3
    I use beeswax furniture polish on the stock of my Parker-Hale rifle and my old BSA shotgun, and it looks lovely. Not too shiny, just a dull finish with no lacquer effect. Maybe not quite the conventional thing, but does the job.

  4. #4
    I rub boiled linseed oil into my rifle stocks and shotgun stocks small amount and rub in with your fingers.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory." LLAP Leonard Nimoy 1931 - 2015

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    Hello, this isn't meant to be rude, so please don't take it as that. I'd actually ask either the importers, or Beretta USA, or Beretta direct in Italy to see what they advise.

    Years ago, most folk said use Connolly Leather Dressing on gun cases and cartridge bags. I asked Brady directly, as I'd just bought three of their pigskin cartridge bags, when it was still owned by Mr Brady. He said firmly "No, no, no!" as it strips the glue that sticks the hide to the gun case or gun bag lining. He told me Kao-Cho-Line tack dressing as it nourished but didn't attack the glue.

    So I'd ask the makers. In theory, as often in practice, they may know best their own product and how to care for it. And may have either a product they sell or promote for the purpose. Hope it helps!
    Not rude in the slightest, Infact a very good point made. I'll send GMK an email and ask the question, can't hurt they can only not reply but I'd hope they would take the time to after putting quite a few s in there pockets over the last few months lol.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by VSS View Post
    I use beeswax furniture polish on the stock of my Parker-Hale rifle and my old BSA shotgun, and it looks lovely. Not too shiny, just a dull finish with no lacquer effect. Maybe not quite the conventional thing, but does the job.
    Quote Originally Posted by 375 mag View Post
    I rub boiled linseed oil into my rifle stocks and shotgun stocks small amount and rub in with your fingers.
    Thanks guys, il look into them both if GMK doesn't come back with anything specific.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by VSS View Post
    I use beeswax furniture polish on the stock of my Parker-Hale rifle and my old BSA shotgun, and it looks lovely. Not too shiny, just a dull finish with no lacquer effect. Maybe not quite the conventional thing, but does the job.

    Me too. Keil's wax polish if it's good wood & renaissance wax if it isn't.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by 375 mag View Post
    I rub boiled linseed oil into my rifle stocks and shotgun stocks small amount and rub in with your fingers.

    +1

    That's what I do. takes a few days to dry fully but gives a really nice finish

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by McKenzie View Post
    Me too. Keil's wax polish if it's good wood & renaissance wax if it isn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by padge View Post
    +1

    That's what I do. takes a few days to dry fully but gives a really nice finish
    Thanks for the tips guys, I've sent GMK an email so will see if they come back to me and will share what they say if they do. Failing that I'll certainly look into all the suggestions posted up

  10. #10
    Mix 80% pure linseed 20%white spirit. Again apply with either fingers or a cotton rag and polish off. After a while you get a really nice finish.

Similar Threads

  1. Laminate rifle stock care
    By chrishorner in forum Cleaning, Gunsmithing and Equipment Care
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 16-04-2016, 17:53
  2. More on care for a wood rifle stock...
    By AndrewS in forum Cleaning, Gunsmithing and Equipment Care
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 17-11-2013, 14:43
  3. care of Stock on a wooden rifle
    By david1976 in forum Cleaning, Gunsmithing and Equipment Care
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 02-04-2013, 15:53
  4. Care of synthetic stock
    By moray loon in forum Cleaning, Gunsmithing and Equipment Care
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 21-01-2012, 22:32
  5. Health care
    By squirrelnutkin in forum Jokes & Funnies
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 24-04-2011, 18:59

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •