Gun stock care?

Beretta shooter

Morning people,
Looking for some guidance on a product to use on my gun stock, I recently bought myself a beretta 692 black edition for my clay shooting and it has a lovely stock on it but it's starting to feel a little dry in places so I want to treat and protect it with something, the thing is it's a Matt finish along with the barrels etc and I want to keep it that way. Can anyone recomend a good quality product for treating and protecting the wood and keeping its Matt appearance? Possibly a wax?

cheers BS

Hello, this isn't meant to be rude, so please don't take it as that. I'd actually ask either the importers, or Beretta USA, or Beretta direct in Italy to see what they advise.

Years ago, most folk said use Connolly Leather Dressing on gun cases and cartridge bags. I asked Brady directly, as I'd just bought three of their pigskin cartridge bags, when it was still owned by Mr Brady. He said firmly "No, no, no!" as it strips the glue that sticks the hide to the gun case or gun bag lining. He told me Kao-Cho-Line tack dressing as it nourished but didn't attack the glue.

So I'd ask the makers. In theory, as often in practice, they may know best their own product and how to care for it. And may have either a product they sell or promote for the purpose. Hope it helps!

Last edited:
I use beeswax furniture polish on the stock of my Parker-Hale rifle and my old BSA shotgun, and it looks lovely. Not too shiny, just a dull finish with no lacquer effect. Maybe not quite the conventional thing, but does the job.

I rub boiled linseed oil into my rifle stocks and shotgun stocks small amount and rub in with your fingers.

Hello, this isn't meant to be rude, so please don't take it as that. I'd actually ask either the importers, or Beretta USA, or Beretta direct in Italy to see what they advise.

Years ago, most folk said use Connolly Leather Dressing on gun cases and cartridge bags. I asked Brady directly, as I'd just bought three of their pigskin cartridge bags, when it was still owned by Mr Brady. He said firmly "No, no, no!" as it strips the glue that sticks the hide to the gun case or gun bag lining. He told me Kao-Cho-Line tack dressing as it nourished but didn't attack the glue.

So I'd ask the makers. In theory, as often in practice, they may know best their own product and how to care for it. And may have either a product they sell or promote for the purpose. Hope it helps!

Not rude in the slightest, Infact a very good point made. I'll send GMK an email and ask the question, can't hurt they can only not reply but I'd hope they would take the time to after putting quite a few £££s in there pockets over the last few months lol.

I use beeswax furniture polish on the stock of my Parker-Hale rifle and my old BSA shotgun, and it looks lovely. Not too shiny, just a dull finish with no lacquer effect. Maybe not quite the conventional thing, but does the job.

I rub boiled linseed oil into my rifle stocks and shotgun stocks small amount and rub in with your fingers.

Thanks guys, il look into them both if GMK doesn't come back with anything specific.

Me too. Keil's wax polish if it's good wood & renaissance wax if it isn't.

Had a reply from GMK this morning recommending CCL gunstock conditioning oil, it's only about £5 for a small bottle so I'll get some the next time I'm in my local shop and give it a try. Thanks everyone for there recommendations. :D

This is what I use too. Keeps the stock waterproof too. A small tin goes a long long way. I bought mine off ebay - ingredients just say bees wax and pure turpentine

Back