Thread: This hand loading...

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA

This hand loading...

It's as much an art as it is science. Putting together one of my favorite loads for the 30/06, 61 gr RL 19, Fed 210, Sierra 150 gr. pro hunter. This load is usually a tack driver, today, I can't get it to group worth a dam. The only component change is the case, I usually use Remington, today I used the Nosler brass that I had prepped.

On a positive note, I found an excellent load for my son's 7/08 using H4350, as suggested by Miur. 42.8 gr (1 scoop of the Lee 3.1 dipper) of H4350 and a Nosler 140 gr. partition. , Fed 210, Norma brass. That is not the max load but it will give it plenty of juice to take a cow elk at the ranges he will be shooting. Rifle was a Vanguard youth model, 3 shots touching at 100 yards. For the money, the Vanguard is a good rifle.

Back to the bench for the 06 load.
    Last edited by A Guy Out West; 28-08-2016 at 03:22.

Changing the case mfr. does have an impact on the sweet spot of a former case/load however, I find new brass works better after it's been once fired.
    Case volume/capacity difference may be the culprit, but you could just have had a bad day too & that wouldn't help at all.
    Last edited by deeangeo; 28-08-2016 at 04:40.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Ha ha.

i had the same with a 243 load, Lapua brass was a clover leaf all day long, every time.

i had some federal brass kicking around and loaded that up, went to a 2 and half inch group, not believing this

could make a huge difference I started looking for problems with the previously accurate rifle, eventually got some more Lapua brass, and bingo, back to bug holes..

you our live and learn, never change brass now and separate most of it by weight.

happy days again...

Change one component and you have a different load. This is why the rule is to start over if you change brass or primers or bullet.~Muir

It could be a few things. As said, changing the brass can change internal volume which changes pressures, hence MV and barrel time = changed grouping or POI. It could also be that the temperature is sufficiently different to affect pressures too? This warm spell can raise pressures by increasing burn rate.

SD Regular
    On the banks of the Columbia River, Portland OR. USA
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesterP View Post
    It could be a few things. As said, changing the brass can change internal volume which changes pressures, hence MV and barrel time = changed grouping or POI. It could also be that the temperature is sufficiently different to affect pressures too? This warm spell can raise pressures by increasing burn rate.
    Tried my second favorite load yesterday with the Nosler brass. 59 gr. IMR 4350, 150 gr. Hornady, Fed 215 primer. It usually is sub MOA, but not yesterday, about 2" at 100. I thought the case might change things but never guessed it could make that big of a difference. I usually shoot the 06 in much cooler weather, 40s to 60s. The last 2 times out it was 92 and 85. That might be a big part of it too. At any rate I loaded the Nosler brass for the 4th time last night, the primers felt like I could have almost pushed them in with my thumb. 3 loads and loose primer pockets. As I said in an earlier post, the Nosler Bras is not worth the money. When my current supply wears out, no more of that stuff. By the way, after 3 firings, they are still shorter than the trim to length.