Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Area and Population Densities In the Context of Hunting/Stalking Culture

Area and Population Densities In the Context of Hunting/Stalking Culture

While I haven't been around here for a while, I think of 'you guys' with some regularity. It 'bothers' me that there is a rather profound misunderstanding of American hunters and hunting practices by the folks here at the Stalking directory. I have no ax to grind or hobby horse to ride. No argument to 'win', and no earth-shattering point to make. (Although, without some point, there would be no reason to post.) I simply would ask that you consider the following data:

The AREA of Great Britain is "officially" 94,058 square miles (243,619 km2).
    The area of GB minus Northern Ireland (the area of Wales, Scotland, and England) is 89,280 square miles (130,279 km2).
    There are 11 states in the United States that are larger than the combined area of Wales, Scotland and England, and 31 that are larger than England proper.
    Three of them, Texas, California, and Alaska, are more than twice the combined size of Wales, Scotland, and England. Alaska alone is seven times the size of Wales, Scotland, and England.

The population density of England is about 1070 people per square mile or 413 people per square kilometer.
    There is only one state - New Jersey - with a population density greater than England, and it is 1195/mi2. All of the states west of the Mississippi river (The West) have population densities less than 1/10th than of England, and some of them less than 1/100th of England. The population density of Alaska (1.2/sq.mi) is 891 times less than that of GB.

Here's my point: While there are certainly 'cultural' differences in the hunting/stalking found in our nations, I would argue that much of our perceived differences are more a matter of 'culture driven by population density' and deceitful propaganda.

May I suggest that before "you" think us all "reckless cowboys", (by virtue of what you see in the mass media and Youtube), you consider at least for a moment the differences in attitude that derive from the area and population density numbers given above. I have posted data elsewhere on the SD illustrating that if one takes the number of hunting "accidents" (involving firearms) per 100,000 people with hunting licenses, we Americans are a far safer nation of hunters than the hunters of GB, even though the total number of incidents is much greater in the US. I wasn't trying to start a fight with that data, just pointing out that numbers out of context - even though 'technically' not a lie -do NOT reflect the truth. As Samuel Clemens said: There are liars, damn liars, and statisticians.

Anti-hunters want to divide us (hunters/stalkers). I argue strenuously that if we are indeed Hunters (as opposed to "shooters"), then we are, in our hearts, much more similar than different, regardless of what nation we call home. Do not let the Deceivers - the Press, other mass media, and those among us with 'agendas' - deceive you.

ATB,
    Paul
    Last edited by gitano; 30-08-2016 at 06:31.

Where did you get the data from on hunting/firearms accidents from? I'd be very curious to see that (or just provide the link to the thread you mention).

I work with a lot of American's and like us Brits and everyone else in civilised society you fall into two camps. Full on retards and normal folk. The normal folk are fine people who can you can rely on and will do everything by the book whereas the retards are the yahoo's and "rednecks" you see on youtube and other social media whooping and hollering when shooting stuff.

The downside for you is that you have a considerably bigger population of hunters and with the increase in social media its only natural that more of your cretins come to the for because quite frankly you have more guns, more land and more stuff to shoot than we do. Inherently the perceived lax attitude to firearms comes not from hunters but from other aspects of society that filter into mainstream media.

"I have posted data elsewhere on the SD illustrating that if one takes the number of hunting "accidents" (involving firearms) per 100,000 people with hunting licenses, we Americans are a far safer nation of hunters than the hunters of GB, even though the total number of incidents is much greater in the US. I wasn't trying to start a fight with that data, just pointing out that numbers out of context - even though 'technically' not a lie -do NOT reflect the truth.

D
    o you have a fact to back that up as I am yet to hear of a fatal shooting Accident in the UK from shooting whilst out hunting, not saying you are a liar but I just find given the terrain and type of shooting we do when compared to the USA it seems very unlikely. There are liars, damn liars, and statisticians I should know I used to be one

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    [...] whereas the retards are the yahoo's and "rednecks" you see on youtube and other social media whooping and hollering when shooting stuff.
    Front page of today's Sun:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/169383...despite-abuse/

'I'M NEVER GOING TO STOP'Schoolgirl whose hobby is to shoot dead African wildlife insists she will carry on despite abuse

American Aryanna Gourdin, 12, has posed for pictures alongside the dead bodies of giraffes and antelope

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nintchdbpict000260300900.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	246.4 KB 
ID:	73908

The thing is, they're ill-judged, triumphalist photos....
    Last edited by Pine Marten; 30-08-2016 at 13:41.

But it's still the readers of The Sun one feels most disgusted by.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    I am stunned! You read the Sun! I fear for your sanity PM... I'll have to buy you a subscription for the Grauniad to counter the infection...

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Country View Post
    I am stunned! You read the Sun! I fear for your sanity PM... I'll have to buy you a subscription for the Grauniad to counter the infection...
    Actually, I saw it in a newsagent a lunchtime. It caught my eye with the full-page photo of a dead giraffe. Just next to a predictable anti-French and anti-immigration Daily Mail heading. I will admit to scanning the online version of the Guardian. But I think I'm astute enough to pick and choose the more valid stuff. So no Monbiot or Polly Toynbee for me...

I am sure George is heartbroken!

David.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/169383...despite-abuse/

'I'M NEVER GOING TO STOP'Schoolgirl whose hobby is to shoot dead African wildlife insists she will carry on despite abuse

American Aryanna Gourdin, 12, has posed for pictures alongside the dead bodies of giraffes and antelope

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nintchdbpict000260300900.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	246.4 KB 
ID:	73908

The thing is, they're ill-judged, triumphalist photos....
    Yep nail on the head!! Thats part of the problem seriously lacking on judgement and being deliberately provocative in order to gain publicity for whatever brand or outfitter they are using. Same with that ***** who speared the bear and whooped and hollered like he had just won the lottery. What on earth do you think Joe public is going to think.

But its not just them. My old man was working in Charleston and one of his colleagues a very nice well respected MIT graduate drove his pickup to work in the am with a dead deer in it that he had shot to show off to the people at work. Now if you did that here you would probably be fired but in a culture where its perceived manly to hunt etc etc its fine.

So whilst the OP seems a very nice person with good intention you cant help but think large swathes of US culture are being deliberately combative to the antis and liberals.

As for that kid with shooting a bow.... Well I would love to know the draw weight.....

Actually, there's something else I missed here. This girl is 12. She's a child. You can't really blame her for behaving as a child. This is expensive stuff she's doing, so presumably her parents are paying for it. And stitching their daughter up at the same time.