September 1st

Glen of Imaal

The Irish deer season opens tomorrow:) That 6 month wait seems to get longer every year. Good luck to everybody heading out!

heading for wicklow shortly, it will be the first year iv,e had my paperwork sorted for the start of the season. great place to be

I can't get my head around why we have different deer seasons when they all seem to rut and give birth in the UK at the same time? (species dependant of course!)
Most male seasons seem to be based around when they are in hard antler which can only be realistically governed by trophy hunting as there is no other logic? I've even heard that the Scottish dates were set so that they coincided with when the rich (Parliament?) stood down?
Maybe we should unify them all? It would certainly help those on their DSC 1 !!:lol:
Mr T.

Thanks for the well wishes guys. Yesterday went well. A really nice woodland stalk and two fallow prickets.

Glendine.

IMG_1317.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1317.jpg
    IMG_1317.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 42
I can't get my head around why we have different deer seasons when they all seem to rut and give birth in the UK at the same time? (species dependant of course!)
Most male seasons seem to be based around when they are in hard antler which can only be realistically governed by trophy hunting as there is no other logic? I've even heard that the Scottish dates were set so that they coincided with when the rich (Parliament?) stood down?
Maybe we should unify them all? It would certainly help those on their DSC 1 !!:lol:
Mr T.

I think you'll find that the Rep of Ireland in general, and Wicklow in particular are not in the UK....

All the best for the season..... and hoping for a few dry outings.

Managed a nice one for the bbq yesterday.

20160902_171746_zpsycxawnsn.jpg

edi

Well done! Out this morning, saw lots of hinds and a bit of rain...

I was out at first light on Friday. Cold and windy. Saw a few stags very high up and some hinds and calves.

Went into some forestry in the afternoon. Tried to take a pricket from a group of hinds and calves, but couldn't get a clear shot.

I also had an interesting encounter with another stalker at 6.00am....

Back