Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: foxes getting pheasant poults off roost

  1. #1

    foxes getting pheasant poults off roost

    Always thought that poults found dead in the morning had been killed by fox as they came down from roost.Not always so.Friend with night sight watched a vixen run around and around the base of a tree until poults dropped out of tree,it killed 6 before he shot it.

  2. #2
    This happened to mine 12 days ago....caught fox on camera at 1.30 am running around pen,following morning at first
    light picked up 14 dead poults that were stone cold...couldn't understand it as I haven't had any birds out of the pen yet
    until I checked camera. Been up there every morning since before they come off roost and so far ok.
    The fox has not been back yet which I find strange.

  3. #3
    i dont understand this why does the poult fall out of the tree? does it get spooked by the fox flutter down and try and do a runner? or just get dizzy watching it

  4. #4
    Although I've never experienced this myself I have certainly heard of other keepers that have. I also seem to remember seeing a very old cartoon where the fox had run in circles and I think the poults got dizzy and dropped out of the tree!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by old keeper View Post
    Although I've never experienced this myself I have certainly heard of other keepers that have. I also seem to remember seeing a very old cartoon where the fox had run in circles and I think the poults got dizzy and dropped out of the tree!
    Seen the same cartoon many years ago but hadn't realised it was based on a true story,most cartoons were though I suppose....

  6. #6
    Not convinced it's the fox making them dizzy. Try walking amongst trees where adult pheasants are roosting and making a bit of a disturbance. Generally they will spook and take to flight. Probably the poult's flying skills aren't up to much more than getting down to the ground, with fatal results.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
    Not convinced it's the fox making them dizzy. Try walking amongst trees where adult pheasants are roosting and making a bit of a disturbance. Generally they will spook and take to flight. Probably the poult's flying skills aren't up to much more than getting down to the ground, with fatal results.
    +1
    I genuinely hate pheasants they send normally sane men slightly deranged this time of year

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    +1
    I genuinely hate pheasants they send normally sane men slightly deranged this time of year
    I resemble that remark. For birds that have reputedly low brain power, I can only marvel at the inventive and wondrous ways they find to put themselves in danger and depart this mortal coil.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
    I resemble that remark. For birds that have reputedly low brain power, I can only marvel at the inventive and wondrous ways they find to put themselves in danger and depart this mortal coil.
    That is until shooting season comes around and then they go out of their way to avoid being shot, a laugh or slammed door is enough to have them bombing out the wood.

    Must admit i've never heard of anything like that before, althou 1 twilight eve about sept time about 50 flew off the roost and landed just near me about 100m's from pen, next few mornings i had 4-6 headless birds under roosting trees otherwise untouched, been a Tawny.
    Think i'm with pedro and others it may work with daft poults but not with adults or els u wouldnae be able to snare/airgun/catty them at night


    Can always remember as a kid beating on 1 estate, can still picture it, we were acting as stops below flushing point and pheasants where flushing and flying over these real big douglas fir/cyprus trees (be real 100ft trees) we were al daft on shooting, my mate was swinging his beating stick like a gun on birds as they passed over, the movement must of caught this cock pheasants eye and it flew straight into the tree trunk, broke its neck. My mate was jumping about like a mad thing, that would of been his first 'shot' pheasant
    Last edited by countrryboy; 02-09-2016 at 11:03.

  10. #10
    Last year I tried rearing pheasants from eggs..hatched OK in the incubator, but I was amazed at how many different ways they managed to kill themselves ....

Similar Threads

  1. For Sale Pheasant poults
    By Stacey in forum Other Items
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-03-2016, 11:55
  2. Wanted Pheasant poults
    By Boarboy in forum Other Items
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-08-2015, 08:34
  3. Available pheasant poults
    By herbert in forum Other Sporting Opportunties
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-04-2013, 22:46
  4. For Sale Pheasant poults
    By Ben Bain in forum Deer Stalking Equipment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13-09-2012, 22:57

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •