Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: top tip

top tip

WHEN YOU SHOOT A DEER AND DECIDE IT WILL MAKE A NICE TROPHY SAW IT UP SOON AFTER SHOOTING.

I did a couple this morning after only a fortnight........

Mmmm I bet they were tastey mate!!

nutty

Sorry Swamps you have lost me! Are you saying, sort the trophy head out and then butcher the carcass as soon as possible? If so I agree. I prefer to skin out the Muntjac as soon as I can and then cut it up into portion sized cuts. I don't think you have to hang meat that long anyway. If a deer is old and tough, I marinade it in fruit juice/herbs and spices or cider/red wine. Tastes great!

I have a Fallow buck being portioned up at the moment. It hung for a week and bloody hell the skinning was hard work! Its taking me an age to chop it up and cram it into the freezer.

heads

I did the butchery bit a week ago after a weeks hanging, the heads had been kicking about the garden shed since then. when i ran the saw through them the brains had gone horrid and very smelly.

Re: heads

Quote Originally Posted by swampy
    I did the butchery bit a week ago after a weeks hanging, the heads had been kicking about the garden shed since then. when i ran the saw through them the brains had gone horrid and very smelly.

If they get that far gone that they are gonna stink a bit mate, cover the antlers in black plastic, or anything that will stop the sun from getting to them and hang them outside or up a tree in the woods and let nature do the stripping out of brains and meat from the skull. I do it this way now, in fact i have a roe head hung on the fence in the field at the top of the garden which has been there since last august. Once it is all dried out, cut through and then bleach.

PS, the bags on the antlers stop the sun from bleaching them white.

wadas

Hi Swampy,

As well as the venison I stick the heads in the freezer until I am ready to boil them out. It does help to have a seperate freezer for this though.

PS Make sure the other half knows which freezer the venison is in.

Remmy7

I have a freezer full of heads! The misses has told me to sort them out and get rid of some. I didn't bring my first Fallow's head back from my stalk last week, she'd have gone ballistic!

So this weekend I'll be sorting through them and wondering why i kept the 'wonky ones'.

I have to chop my beasts up straight away as I don't have hanging facilities.

I generally chop the baest into the shoulders, haunches and then the loin but then put them in the fridge for three or four days to mature and firm up.

I have tried chopping and mincing very fresh roe and it has no structure to it, whereas let it rest for a few days it firms up nicely and then you cut it inot steaks etc.

I did once read from an american website a method of taking off the haunches, shoulders and back straps of deer in the field without even having to gut the animal. Can't find it on google now, but can find the www.nogutmethod.com.

Not sure how the powers that be would view you leaving ribcages, bones and guts out in the woods, but can't help feeling this would a useful method to have for that solo extraction of the beast that has fallen into the ravine type scenario - or that is a bloody long drag / bugger the argo has broken type scenario.

It always amazes me how much weight you loose from live weight down to on the plate weight - ie how much skin and bones you actually have to carry off the hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf

So this weekend I'll be sorting through them and wondering why i kept the 'wonky ones'.
    As an old stalking friend told me "everyone tells a story" you will find somewhere to put them l stick a lot of mine up in the workshop.