Thread: Scotlands Airgun Licencsing

Scotlands Airgun Licencsing

Just wondering, I believe this new system becomes law in Scotland on 31st December 2016, if you have a valid firearms/shotgun certificate then when you renew it, you need to add ? this to your certificates up there.

Will this be the end of the 12ft pound air rifles in Scotland? if you need a certificate will they all opt for a more powerful air rifle? how does it work for those who live elsewhere, does the local FAO supply a permit for those wanting to take their air rifles North, I wonder what the cost will be?

If you have a current FAC or SGC you need to do nothing until renewal time, at which time you will need to apply for a certificate for your air weapons.

A Q&A can be found at this link https://basc.org.uk/basc-scotland/ai...ked-questions/

To answer your specific point
    15. I live in England but come up to Scotland to shoot the rabbits on my uncle’s farm with my shotgun, .22 rimfire rifle and my air rifle. Can I still come to Scotland and bring my guns with me?
    When the legislation is in place (1st January 2017) you will still be able to come to Scotland with your shotgun, your .22 rimfire rifle and your air rifle up to the date when your shotgun certificate or firearm certificate is renewed. After this date you will need to apply for a visitors permit for your air rifle, but not for your shot gun or .22 rimfire rifle.

Think you will need a visitors permit if bringing an air rifle north, probably the same cost as for any visitor from elsewhere 20

For Scottish residents who have either SGC or FAC the cost of air gun license will be 5 as security checks will have already be done,think its 72 for air gun license if you have neither

But we have no idea what it will cost to renew an air rifle certificate in the future even if you do have FAC and SGC. And you have to show good reason and plinking / informal target practice in the back garden is not considered one of them. Personally I think most will just stick with a 22rf.

Frankly its a piece of legislation that is there to solve a problem that doesn't exist. Any misuse of air weapon is already quite rightly treated as a Firearms offence with the full penalties of law.

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    But we have no idea what it will cost to renew an air rifle certificate in the future even if you do have FAC and SGC. And you have to show good reason and plinking / informal target practice in the back garden is not considered one of them. Personally I think most will just stick with a 22rf.

Frankly its a piece of legislation that is there to solve a problem that doesn't exist. Any misuse of air weapon is already quite rightly treated as a Firearms offence with the full penalties of law.
    Heym, costs for grant and renewal are in the BASC link I posted above.

Fully agree with your second paragraph by the way - a piece of legislation pushed through by the Scottish Nazi Party even after the public consultation was against the idea.

SD Regular
    Well, sorry to be a Jonah, but it's probably coming to a town in England and Wales soon...'cos the argument will be that with no controls SOUTH of the border these things are continuing to enter Scotland.