Thread: Blazer R93 in 308-strikes again!

Blazer R93 in 308-strikes again!

Gents

Some of you will have seen my previous post last week when the R93 turned up, she took 4 deer in two outings last week & a further 4 in 2 outings this week-so I am made up with the rifle to say the least.

One thing I have to comment on as I know that the old 308 got a bit of stick on a few previous posts when compaired to 25/06, 30/06 or 270 recently.

I have to say that having owned the following 270, 270wsm, 7/08, 243, 243AI, 30/06 & 25/06 that the old 308 is fantastic & I am taking shots that are no different to the flatter shooting calibres & when using 123grn Sako Factory fodder that the difference to my 25/06 is very marginal.

I only took the rifle in as I thought it was a great deal (which it was it now turns out), having never owned a 308 I have to say that on opening the gun safe I am only ever going to go for the 308 now for day to day use-she is just a great all rounder for UK deer Species.

Regs Lee

Ive had .25-06 and used a .270 a fair bit, but i think that the .308 is a lot nicer to shoot.. funny how calibres come in and go out of popularity! I couldnt give my .25-06 away when i had it as .308 and the likes were the 'in' thing. now the .308 is out of fashion but i like it!

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfisherman View Post
    Ive had .25-06 and used a .270 a fair bit, but i think that the .308 is a lot nicer to shoot.. funny how calibres come in and go out of popularity! I couldnt give my .25-06 away when i had it as .308 and the likes were the 'in' thing. now the .308 is out of fashion but i like it!
    To para-phrase an old Levi Jeans slogan:-
    .308. Style never goes out of fashion.
    308 is a fabulous calibre. Not clothes line flat trjectory, hardly "speed of light" velocities, but it's available worldwide and will acurately deliver 150grns of sleeping pill out to far further than most stalkers would ever dream of shooting.
    Personally, I've recently acquired a moderated 243 and I'm using that more frequently than my 308, but I strongly suspect that once I get a mod for the 308, the situation may well revert to the 308 being my "go to" rifle.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Harry you need to get that BSA 303 out after the deer........................... .

Quote Originally Posted by Harry mac View Post
    Not clothes line flat trjectory, hardly "speed of light" velocities,
    I think I am right in saying that the sako 123gn round that Iwcdart is using exits the muzzle at a smidge over 3000ft/sec. Not too shabby.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Harry you need to get that BSA 303 out after the deer........................... .
    The variation's through. I now need to finalise the sale. Hopefully I'll have the rifle within the next fortnight. Then I have to get it suitably scoped. Maybe with an old Weaver K4 or summat similar. I reckon it should be ready in time for the doe season.

If you get stuck for a suitable scope give me a shout as I am sure I can find something in a drawer . My one for one variation has been well over a month and I have had two phones calls and one visit over it. The FEO cannot understand what the problem is.

As your not a million miles away perhaps we should get the old BSA together and see if we can breed them ...................................

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    If you get stuck for a suitable scope give me a shout as I am sure I can find something in a drawer . My one for one variation has been well over a month and I have had two phones calls and one visit over it. The FEO cannot understand what the problem is.

As your not a million miles away perhaps we should get the old BSA together and see if we can breed them ...................................
    My shift system means that I get 3 days off at a time, so it shouldn't be too difficult to arrange a trip to Lincs. If you're near Boston it's just a short(ish) hop up the A17.

Half way tween Boston and Skeggie.

Personally speaking I have been lucky enough to use rifles in the following calibers 243win/308win/270win/270 weatherby mag/7mm rem mag/7x64/8x68s and 300 win mag,for huntin the larger game deer mountain goat ect and they all get the job done very well indeed being used responsibly, but of them all the 308 is my one to have for everthing it doesn't do anything better than any of the above but it doesn't do anything worse either again being used like all rifles responsibly ,its got the perfect balance in all it does long live the 308 winchester!!!!