Outbuilding security

traveler

Just wondering if anyone else has experience on this?

My boss is doing up the outbuildings outside my house (part of which is actually the original dwelling on the site). I want to store my guns out there (and do my reloading, etc) which my FEO has verbally approved but BASC have told me to proceed with caution.

The cabinet will be fixed to brick and mortar, hidden inside a wooden cabinet, door will be a 5 lever security door, Windows will be shuttered with a metal bar behind to secure them and the building will be alarmed.

Any thoughts?

Two thoughts:

You could have the work done, retain your existing security, have the FEO view the new set-up and get a "Yes" or a "No".

There might be a temptation on a cold wet night, with an early start, to bring the weapons and ammunition into the warm, dry house and then have a hot bath and go to bed. In which case you may have breached your storage conditions.

Set it up for reloading but then step back and have a think.

The FEO has said yes, but being as different FEOs apply the guidance in different ways, I just want to be sure that if I get a different one in the future I've covered as many bases as I can.

I intend to retain the security in the house for less frequently used guns. Half the problem at the moment is that because we're in a modern house there were limited options for fixing the cabinet to something solid so the cabinet is in an awkward place. The new arrangements mean that I won't have to worry about trekking in and out the house with work gear on when needing a gun in a hurry.

Not sure what you mean in your last sentence, what I want to do is get it as well set up as possible from the start.

Cheers

Depends on your area I suppose , but usual requirements when kept in an outbuilding any windows barred on the inside,
any doors and jams to be steel lined with up graded hinges, Five lever lock should be OK but lock keep should be solid steel

May require alarm linked to police.

Last edited:
They sometimes can insist on roof or cieling being 'improved'/ secuered too stop access from above too. (sometimes sheets of re bar mesh is enough or concreted)

If u check the security handbok thing it does give u gudelines etc, but as everyone has said be very FEO dependant, wot 1 may pass another may not.

I have got something similar passed althou i'm living in an adjoining caravan to the out building and using outbuilding as part storage/living room.
The pois man never batted an eyelid and was more thasn happy with my security.
Must admit my only real concern was crappy old single glazed windows, but will be many a farmhuse/cottage with old crappy doors/windows too, i stuck window locks on them but really its only a token gesture.

Just remember dampness etc if ur storing guns in an outbuilding, not always the best idea.

I intend to retain the security in the house for less frequently used guns.

Best of both worlds IMHO. An indoor cabinet for those late nights and next date early starts when you can't be bothered to do anything but have a hot drink and a hot bath. Plus you've still got the reloading room and storage for ammunition and soft point component bullets that clears all that "clutter" out of the house.

Cheers for the thoughts. We are in a damp area so have got a woodburner going in the room and some sort of low wattage heater on a stat. Looking forward to getting it done!

Generally speaking you don't need an alarm system that automatically informs the police of an activation. Those alarms in fact actually notify a monitoring company who in turn notify the police. If you live in a remote area I'd guess the chances of a quick response is very low anyway and therefore there is almost an argument that a linked system benefits no-one. However, an audible alarm would immediately chase off any toe-rag trying to brake in.

Security in general and that includes firearms security isn't so much about an infallible system because any security given time can be overcome. It's about making the pay-off not worth the risk of getting caught and forcing potential criminals to go and look elsewhere. Your FEO should bear that in mind when scrutinising yours and weigh it up against the potential risk.

The FEO is not the expert in security, and that includes firearms. You should be able to get a Crime Prevention Officer to attend and go over what they feel would work or be necessary. They in fact carry out security checks for the Firearms Licensing departments and RFD renewals.

I must admit i thought about putting an alarm in the locked cupboard where cabinets are (and started a thread on it on here if u search, was some good advice) and offered to put an alarm on it but polis man said it wasnae neccessary.

Possibly a standard alarm might be a good thing just so it goes off in the night if someone was trying to break in u'd hear it in ur house, wouldn't be dear or hard to fit esp if ur doing work anyway

I know gunsmiths who have outside buildings near the house and its all been passed. The cabinet would need to be attached to an inside brick wall not an outside wall I would think.

Providing the outside buildings are fitted with steel doors and an alarm that alerts your mobile phone if someone attempts to break in. If the FEO is fine with it then it shouldn't be a problem.

However you may want to look into your insurance as it is not your main dwelling. This may throw up an issue with the insurance company?

Each case is/should be looked on its merits and the security guidance provides the framework for the Police.
Having said this it does help to be reasonably informed on the guidance so that less informed/experienced FEOs do not press for unnecessary requirements when the situation does not warrant it.
Difficult one - do everything asked and could become a rod or be seen to be resisting/not complying and delay matters......

Not wishing to demean the FEO's authority or opinion in any way but do you not thing that this need confirmation in writing from your Head of Firearms Licensing?

Back