Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: synthetic stocks?

synthetic stocks?

OK guys,
    I am looking for suggestions on synthetic stocks for the SAKO A2 preferably with a thumbhole, but not a necessity.

Anyone used the Bell and Carlson Carbalite?

Not really interested in a McMillan, but could change my mind!
    Cheers
    J

Choate make a very good thumbhole stock,...... although a little too military looking for my liking. Steve.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Yes I have one on my A-Bolt, one thing I like about it is that I can get check weld with a 50mm Scope mounted, to many modern rifle stocks come with the comb too low for the scopes most of us use, in fact some are set up to the same dimensions as they were 40+ years ago when they were designed for us with iron sights.

ATB

Tahr

Thar,

are you saying that you have a Bell and Carlson Carbalite or a Choate?

If it is the B+C how does the pistol grip feel as it is made for both left and right handers!

Cheers,

J

Quote Originally Posted by jingzy View Post
    Thar,
    If it is the B+C how does the pistol grip feel as it is made for both left and right handers!
    I have a Bell and Carlson, a Carbalite, do they do a specific left handed stock? I ask because mine has a raised cheek piece for right hand use, the pistol grip is fine for me the for end is quite short on the Carbalite when compared to the Medallist, I guess this is to help keep the weight down.

ATB

Tahr

This was my worry. The carbalite is built for left and right hand shooters in mind by the looks of it. The same stock does both which doesn't really make sense, but if you are using yours with no issues then it could very well be on my shortlist. I would rather a thumbhole stock, but we have to make comprimises along the way.

Cheers,

J

Hi J

Have you had a look at these, they are inleted for Howa’s but the old Sako actions and Howas are very similar, so long as the action screws are the same spacing it would be quite easy to bed the Sako action into the stock. At only £250 the price is right and made in the UK.

http://www.staffs-synthetic-stocks.co.uk/firearms.shtml

If you want to know the measurement of action screws of a Howa let me know.

ATB

Tahr

Thanks Thar,

I am looking at a B+C at the moment. They are only $160 prior to getting them sent across from the US.

I imported my B+C direct, not sure if you can still do that, $160 sound very good.

ATB

Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Thar View Post
    Hi J

Have you had a look at these, they are inleted for Howa’s but the old Sako actions and Howas are very similar, so long as the action screws are the same spacing it would be quite easy to bed the Sako action into the stock. At only £250 the price is right and made in the UK.

http://www.staffs-synthetic-stocks.co.uk/firearms.shtml

If you want to know the measurement of action screws of a Howa let me know.

ATB

Tahr
    Kev I recently fitted my L579 Sako into one of our howa SA inleted stocks.
    The actions look the same but the old sako is much smaller, bolt is smaller, action is quite a bit shorter. A2 similar L579?
    This what it looks like when the howa stock is milled out to take the sako bottom.
    It was a lengthy job to fit the rifle in that stock.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0433.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	289.7 KB 
ID:	1623

edi