synthetic stocks?

jingzy

OK guys,
I am looking for suggestions on synthetic stocks for the SAKO A2 preferably with a thumbhole, but not a necessity.

Anyone used the Bell and Carlson Carbalite?

Not really interested in a McMillan, but could change my mind!
Cheers
J

Yes I have one on my A-Bolt, one thing I like about it is that I can get check weld with a 50mm Scope mounted, to many modern rifle stocks come with the comb too low for the scopes most of us use, in fact some are set up to the same dimensions as they were 40+ years ago when they were designed for us with iron sights.:confused:

ATB

Tahr

Thar,

are you saying that you have a Bell and Carlson Carbalite or a Choate?

If it is the B+C how does the pistol grip feel as it is made for both left and right handers!

Cheers,

J

Thar,
If it is the B+C how does the pistol grip feel as it is made for both left and right handers!
I have a Bell and Carlson, a Carbalite, do they do a specific left handed stock? I ask because mine has a raised cheek piece for right hand use, the pistol grip is fine for me the for end is quite short on the Carbalite when compared to the Medallist, I guess this is to help keep the weight down.

ATB

Tahr

This was my worry. The carbalite is built for left and right hand shooters in mind by the looks of it. The same stock does both which doesn't really make sense, but if you are using yours with no issues then it could very well be on my shortlist. I would rather a thumbhole stock, but we have to make comprimises along the way.

Cheers,

J

Hi J

Have you had a look at these, they are inleted for Howa’s but the old Sako actions and Howas are very similar, so long as the action screws are the same spacing it would be quite easy to bed the Sako action into the stock. At only £250 the price is right and made in the UK.

http://www.staffs-synthetic-stocks.co.uk/firearms.shtml

If you want to know the measurement of action screws of a Howa let me know.

ATB

Tahr

Thanks Thar,

I am looking at a B+C at the moment. They are only $160 prior to getting them sent across from the US.

I imported my B+C direct, not sure if you can still do that, $160 sound very good.

ATB

Tahr

Hi J

Have you had a look at these, they are inleted for Howa’s but the old Sako actions and Howas are very similar, so long as the action screws are the same spacing it would be quite easy to bed the Sako action into the stock. At only £250 the price is right and made in the UK.

http://www.staffs-synthetic-stocks.co.uk/firearms.shtml

If you want to know the measurement of action screws of a Howa let me know.

ATB

Tahr

Kev I recently fitted my L579 Sako into one of our howa SA inleted stocks.
The actions look the same but the old sako is much smaller, bolt is smaller, action is quite a bit shorter. A2 similar L579?
This what it looks like when the howa stock is milled out to take the sako bottom.
It was a lengthy job to fit the rifle in that stock.

DSCN0433.jpg

edi

Hi Edi

I should have known that you would have had this one covered, shame that they are not the same as that would have made things a bit easier with your excellent stocks, no thumbhole ones yet?

ATB

Kev

Kev, it was only because we have that old sako in our family since 40 years and I wanted it in our stock. Funny thing was that there was huge muzzle flip in the original stock, which is now gone.
Not sure if we'll go down the thumbhole route, I'm not yet convinced it is the right way for a hunting rifle.
Are you and James at the CLA? I'll be over this year.

edi

Not sure if we'll go down the thumbhole route, I'm not yet convinced it is the right way for a hunting rifle.
Are you and James at the CLA? I'll be over this year.
edi

I know what you mean about a thumbhole for a hunting rifle; I like the look of them but think that it would have to go on a “high seat rifle”.

For the first time in many years I don’t think I am going, not sure about James he hasn’t took on a stand this year. Do you have any plans to head a bit further north? If so you are welcome to come out for a Buck.

ATB

Tahr

We'll be over with a bus load of irish hunters, better if we don't wack all your poor bucks.:D
First time I'll be to the show.
You might drop over for a sika later...

edi

Back