Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golden Eagle

Golden Eagle

I know it's not stalking but it is a bird we often see when out chasing deer and the one that always seems to start the debate, 'is that a golden eagle or a buzzard???!!!' Many may not have had the chance to see these birds up as close as this. This is my friends bird and the photos were taken on a day out hunting blue hares earlier this year.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0962.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	311.4 KB 
ID:	73977Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0985.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	234.2 KB 
ID:	73978Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0966.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	226.2 KB 
ID:	73979Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0971.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	310.7 KB 
ID:	73980Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1005.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	192.7 KB 
ID:	73981Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1036.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	148.5 KB 
ID:	73982

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Those are wonderful - I hope to catch sight of the Golden Eagle again when I am up in Sutherland this month.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Those are wonderful - I hope to catch sight of the Golden Eagle again when I am up in Sutherland this month.
    If your ever up in the borders around Lauder area and it can tie in with a day we are out hunting with them on hares, you'd be welcome to join us to get some photos. As you can imagine an awful lot get binned but you occasionally get one or two worth keeping and such an opportunity doesn't arise very often!

Wow !! Thanks for sharing !

Wonderful photos Brian, you're a lucky man.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post
    Wonderful photos Brian, you're a lucky man.

John
    Thanks John and I know I am. I have been lucky to get out with Neil with most of the birds he trains and hunts with (he is dedicated to training these birds to the point of obsession!). Goshawks, peregrines etc. But the Golden Eagle still has me in awe! The power of them and that look of absolute majesty in their eyes is overwhelming when up close. Plus of course it is a bird synonymous with Scotland! LOL

He had a golden he hunted with before putting it into a breeding programme. He keeps detailed records of all his birds success's when hunting, That particular bird from memory was on over 800 kills (I think). He had a peregrine on a similar tally on partridge and grouse before it was sadly killed. You can't get a bird that good without knowing a)what your doing, and b)dedicating thousands of hours to training and flying them.

Great photos mate what a beautiful bird

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    If your ever up in the borders around Lauder area and it can tie in with a day we are out hunting with them on hares, you'd be welcome to join us to get some photos. As you can imagine an awful lot get binned but you occasionally get one or two worth keeping and such an opportunity doesn't arise very often!
    I'd love to do that - I've hunted with Harris Hawks but I'm sure that's nothing like seeing a Golden Eagle in action.

Sadly I am all too familiar with the small proportion of keepers to photos taken. Thank heavens for digital, as otherwise I don't think I could afford to have photography as a hobby!
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    I'd love to do that - I've hunted with Harris Hawks but I'm sure that's nothing like seeing a Golden Eagle in action.

Sadly I am all too familiar with the small proportion of keepers to photos taken. Thank heavens for digital, as otherwise I don't think I could afford to have photography as a hobby!
    LOL, very true!!!!