Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: EU - Will we stay or will we go?

EU - Will we stay or will we go?

In consideration of the total inactivity of the Government concerning the UK leaving the EU, I wondered how many believe that the UK will leave the EU and how many believe that the Politicians will find a way for us to remain as part of the EU and forget about the referendum.
    Personally I think that the indicators are that we will remain in the EU and all that is required by "Les Politicians" is an excuse.
    Time will tell what happens, just wondered what other peoples ideas were?
    If a wolf can take down a deer from either flank, does that make him bambidextrous?

There is a summer recess, all the MP's return in the next week or so and then things will start to move.

We voted to leave not remain in any way shape or form!

We Will Be Out Out also We Scotland will remain in the UK.
    Jiim

We must leave or democracy in Britain will be finished.

Quote Originally Posted by rover View Post
    We Will Be Out Out also We Scotland will remain in the UK.
    Jiim
    Curious thing about the SNP, they want Scotland to become an independent country yet want to remain in a European super state that aims for "ever closer union". On the face of it the two aims would appear to be incompatible.

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    Curious thing about the SNP, they want Scotland to become an independent country yet want to remain in a European super state that aims for "ever closer union". On the face of it the two aims would appear to be incompatible.

Yup.

No argument here, either. The SNP are the worst thing to happen to Scotland since the last Tory government. And the worst thing about it? Scotland did this to itself!!!
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

There is no going back ... we are out.
    Parliament can`t change that.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Personally I don't understand why the snp think it is better to be part of the EU as a stand alone country when we would be a very very small fish in a very large pond against being part of a union where we have at least some leverage. Surely if the target is independence then it should also apply to the EU.

Calum

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    It really matters not a jot what our parliament now decides - our European neighbours want us out, end of.

I can't help but smile at the naivety of those politicians (and members of the general public) who somehow think that the UK changing its mind would be greeted joyfully by the rest of the EU who would rush to welcome us with open arms, somewhat like the prodigal son returning.

Having long been viewed as reluctant and obstructive members of the EU the chances of us even being offered a seat at the table again, even if there was another referendum, are pretty much nil. If we did go cap in hand then the conditions for re-admission would be such that they would be rejected outright - loss of rebate, joining the Schengen area, agreement for further harmonisation.

In much the same way as certain members of the EU are pushing for a post-Brexit UK to be penalised pour encourager les autres, so they could not afford for a chastened UK to be seen to gain anything by voting out and then seeking to come back into the fold.

In my extensive travels in and beyond Europe for work since the referendum I find that the reaction to the Brexit vote typically falls into one of three camps:
    1. Relief; that the UK has finally declared in public what has long been viewed as our intention in private
    2. Fear; that "the European project" will now rush full steam ahead with no UK at the table to restrain the EU-rocrats wildest ideas for fiscal, social, defence and cultural harmonisation
    3. Hope; that the EU may now reform or risk further break-up

There is some confusion, a little anger, considerable admiration, and much humour, over what has taken place.

The only nation which is still deluding itself that "Brexit may not mean Brexit" is the UK.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!