Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what action

what action

hi all,

what are peoples thoughts on bat actions etc , and what difference does these actions make to how a rifle shoots when you see alot of custom/rebarrelled sako 75`s .

is there that much difference when shooting deer.

thanks

chris

Quote Originally Posted by chrisc View Post
    hi all,

what are peoples thoughts on bat actions etc , and what difference does these actions make to how a rifle shoots when you see alot of custom/rebarrelled sako 75`s .

is there that much difference when shooting deer.

thanks

chris

For shooting Deer or Hunting in general you dont want anythong too tight for fear of getting a jam due to dirt or foreign bodies getting into the action. Sako 75, Tikka 595/695 or Rem700 even Browning or Win 70 are all fine for your needs.

BAT machine actions are superb...but you are looking to pay around 1200-1400 for the action!

Quote Originally Posted by Jager SA View Post
    For shooting Deer or Hunting in general you dont want anythong too tight for fear of getting a jam due to dirt or foreign bodies getting into the action. Sako 75, Tikka 595/695 or Rem700 even Browning or Win 70 are all fine for your needs.

BAT machine actions are superb...but you are looking to pay around 1200-1400 for the action!
    hi jager

what does make the difference or superb from the others.

I have rifles based on Bat, Nesika and Borden. I would never ever go back to a factory action for so many reasons but no they dont make a difference to shooting deer but their construction is outstanding and a great foundation to a accurate custom rifle....You have to ask what it is you want; a tool for a job or something that does the same job but is exquisite? Occasionally i dual role and compete with the Nesika to 900y, its sub MOA all the way.....

Ive worked with numerous BAT actions - 260 Rems, 22-250 and 6.5x47's.

I have a 6.5x47 on a BAT RS that I built for myself to do tactical target competitions - it is one of the most accurate rifles I own.

The actions are tight, you will have no slop when closing the bolt, most if not all BAT actions come with fluted bolts - despite the neeer-do wells worrying about bolt lock up with dirt ingress, I cannot say ive ever experienecd a problem and I use my rifle in some serious sxxxy conditions.

You cannot really compare a BAT or custom action to factory (be that from Remington, Winchester, Tikka, Sako, et al) they are totally different in feel, quality and finish.

The BAT's take a remington hook up trigger (Jewel, CG, Rifle Basixs, Timney etc)

The ejector is part of the bolt release - simple, effective and will not fail.

Extractor is sako type.

Most have integral recoil lug (or bolt on)

They are similar to Remington (long / short) action in profile, so stocking is not too difficult.

I love working with them, they make a real quality rifle build.

Yep expensive, by once, cry once.

MMMM i like what you all have to say about these custom actions , so then is it only personal preference or is there a `BEST` action among the bats,nesika and borden actions.

Not sure if there is a "best" action,

Nesika had issues with QC a while back, unsure if this is resolved,,,

Borden - alpine and timberline are very good, lovely lines and well made - you may struggle with supply, unless of course you commission build from PRS

Barnard - very well constructed 3 lug action, slightly "chunky" but accepts rem clone trigger (the S and SM) the P actions are single shot and are winning loads of competitions, they are also competatively priced.

Stiller, Pierce, etc are Rem clone actions, all are very good for sporter builds and offer reasonable cost for custom build.

Lawton - next level up from Stiller / Pierce (IMHO), well finished, good aesthetics.

Surgeon - very good platform for tactical or sporter build, integral recoil lug and longer barrel tenon gives better support for heavier barrelled rifles and integral picatinny also makes for a very stiff action.

Other alternatives - Russ Gall - Rolls Royce of custom actions better for F Class or Benchrest rigs, SYSS now make actions excellent quality UK built, another action built in UK is collaboration with Brian Fox and Rhino custom, again Rem Clone, but very good quality.

Plenty of choice once you get into the custom end, it really depends on what looks you prefer rather than which is "best" at this end all are just dandy.

Redmist probably is the man who can advise you best which way to go. The only thing I could add is that the AICS stock is only available for one "stranger" action : Rem 700 .
    At least that is what I make up from their website. A lot of US sniper rifles are build around , yes , the Rem 700 action. Why , I don't know. It's only something I notice.
    We are speaking about a deer rifle. Maybe A.I. don't build their stocks for other actions out of commercial reasons, I simply don't know.
    A stalking rifle is carried a lot more than it's shot. In my opinion weight is the key factor. Certainly if you want to add a bipod , a 56mm scope and a 500/600 gram moderator. The "nude" rifle should not be heavier than 3.0 to 3.1 kg. At least that's my idea.

Redmist is building me a 6mmbr Lawton single shot. I am also having a .20Tac repeater Lawton being built by Neil Mckillop. I think the Lawton's are a great all round action. The BAT action is amazing but when buying 2 I saved 600 going Lawton. I won't notice the difference. At the end of the day it's the nut behind the but that makes the difference.

If I were to build an out and out stalking rifle, I assume that is what you will be building, then I would not hesitate going BAT. If however you are cull stalking I would consider something with slightly less tolerance, I know my work horse gets rather shitty when dragging fallow carcasses back to the truck and would probably cry if I did the same to a 3.5k rifle.

I must also highlight that a BAT will have a higher re-sale value than a blue printed action.

A new remmy action for example wil cost around 420 going on guntrader prices plus 200 for blue printing. That's only 300 less than an action that needs no fettling such as the Lawton.

I can see it now, a BAT in McMillan hunters edge stock with a Vais brake topped with a German 42mm objective scope in 7mmBAT aka 7mm/300WSM. Perfect stalking rifle for anywhere in the world. I can dream......