Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I made a mistake & I am glad of it

I made a mistake & I am glad of it

I was load developing for my 6.5x55 in preparation for my DSC 2
    So I prepared loads with 140 SSTs with N160. Reloader 19 & 22. Only a mild load of R19 (45 grains) grouped well. I chronographed them & found that they were too slow at 2500 fps.
    Well that was not going to be any good, surely/ The bullets would just loop like a mortar and the deer run off with a small entry but no exit wound in them??
    Back to the drawing board. Next up, 129 grain SSTs with 52.5 grains of N560 behind them. Grouped well & out the barrel at 3060 fps AND LOTS OF NOISE & RECOIL. Well this is more like it, says I.
    Anyway off to Devon and the rifle was sighted in & zeroed the evening before. It was not until I was actually stalking a Roe buck that I realised to my horror that I had actually grabbed the the ' slow (2500 fps) ammo. Disaster, but it was too late to change now. Anyway I shot 3 Roe bucks. 2 of them dropped like they had been hit by a truck & one ran a little way. The meat damage was minimal & the haematoma on the exit could be covered by a 50 p piece. There was no haematoma around the entry wound.
    One of the bucks was shot high near the spine. If I had used my old 25-06 or the fast 130 grain bullets that had the same ballistic performance as a 270, they would have cut the animal in half & perforated the guts etc. I am totally sold on the slow & heavy method now.

Well even your slow loads are turning out 1943ft/lbs energy, so deer legal by a safe margin. I'd certainly not want to be the wrong side of 140grns at 2500fps!
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Rod, don't let the "small & fast fascists" get you down. Your loading approximates to the Federal 140gn I used to use, they were damned effective too.

ft
    Last edited by flytie; 25-06-2010 at 21:03. Reason: Stupidity
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Small & fast. The rifle can do that with 95 gr V max at 3300 fps for foxes but I do not have to eat them!

Rodkayak

The powder load for the 129g bullet seems too high? I don't use n560 but from what you say "out the barrel at 3060 fps AND LOTS OF NOISE & RECOIL" then I reckon you have over done it. 2700-2800 is pretty quick with RL19/N160/H4350.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by rodkayak View Post
    Small & fast. The rifle can do that with 95 gr V max at 3300 fps for foxes but I do not have to eat them!
    Rod, it's one of the reasons i like the 6.5, it's so versatile. But when loaded as it was designed for, it does little damage but kills damned effectively, although Brit says he had a bad experience with a 156gn/160gn round nose. But I think any make of bullet occassionally misbehaves.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

If you tink about it the classic Mannlicher Schoenauer used a 160 grain bullet at around 2400fps and it had an excellent reputation on even the biggest Reds. The 303 British of course although a heavier bullet at 174-180 grains had a velocity of 2440 fps so I am not surprised in the slightest .

The problem is not with slow and heavy loads, it's with bureaucrats that have no freaking knowledge of ballistics writing your laws. The 303 with a 180 is seriously mean deer medicine! (Almost as good as our 30-40 Krag!)~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    (Almost as good as our 30-40 Krag!)~Muir
    There are forums I frequent where you would be e-lynched for that comment
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

I have but three Krags.... and 25 odd .303's: At least 5 of which are hunting rifles. Think they'd still lynch me??~Muir