Where have all the deer gone??

AlexN

Is it just me or have others noticed a distinct lack of deer out in the fields at the moment?

Could it be that there is plenty for them to eat in the woods at the moment?

Alex

The funny thing is that I'm seeing Roe bucks but all are young so I want to leave them for another year or two at least. It's the fallow that seem to be non existent! I saw two fallow doe's last night but as soon as they saw my pickup the legged it which was very odd because usually they just look and carry on feeding!

The funny thing is that I'm seeing Roe bucks but all are young so I want to leave them for another year or two at least. It's the fallow that seem to be non existent! I saw two fallow doe's last night but as soon as they saw my pickup the legged it which was very odd because usually they just look and carry on feeding!

You sure you've not had a visit if the remaining deer are that jumpy?

Novice

I am seeing the same numbers of fallow that I do at this time of year. I would say that near where you live are some of the most prolific poachers in East Sussex so the deer may be wary!

Perhaps the deer numbers have dropped in general?...... more people are stalking than ever these days.... and with the use of thermal going up.... who knows!!!????

Or perhaps it's the post rut rest for the roe...... and the fallow have a lot of woods to hang around in that are quiet....until the pheasant shooting starts..

thats poachers in vehicles imho:-|

thats poachers in vehicles imho:-|

Aye. I've a bit where the numerous roe would stand and watch (to an extent) when you slowed down, now the one young doe that appears there is off like a shot minute you slow down.

At this time of year Roe bucks will be laying up and recuperating after the rut. You tend not to see them very much, although they still have to feed and in my opinion tend to do this more under the hours of darkness.

Fallow Bucks will shortly start to move towards the rutting areas and will often appear on land that people have for a brief while before they disperse. There are always times of year when deer seem to be non existent, even on large areas. Fallow on the other hand along with Sika, can be the most difficult of deer to manage the numbers of. However with the rut coming in about 5 to 6 weeks time (depending on weather and where you live) the bucks will be at their heaviest and sometimes appear briefly in areas where you least expect them.

Back