Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road registering an RTV / Side by Side

Road registering an RTV / Side by Side

Anyone have any knowledge of registering something like a Kawasaki Mule for the road? Been told they can be registered plg so can be used as you would a normal car. Only ever seen them registered agri though myself and can find no info.
    So, can they be registered for normal road use?

Yes they can, although I believe it's easier when you buy them new. They have to have road lights, indicators and a horn fitted if not fitted already. Do a search with your favourite search engine and I'm sure the gen will appear. Or look in the .gov government site for more info. They are taxed at the rate for a normal car (not on emissions) and of course you will need at least third party insurance and an MOT if appropriate.

I looked into registering a quad bike (wanting to ride it further than an agri registered one could go on the road) but eventually found it easier to get a trailer and tow it to where I wanted to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
    I looked into registering a quad bike (wanting to ride it further than an agri registered one could go on the road) but eventually found it easier to get a trailer and tow it to where I wanted to use it.
    Do you have any info/links regarding the distance an agri registered quad is permitted to travel on the road?

All I can find is a reference to undefined "short distances" on the DVLA website: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/agricult...ences-and-fuel

This appears to be all there is - the oft quoted 1.5km radius between properties in the same ownership refers to 'agricultural limited use' vehicles which is something else, not an agri registered quad.

Even the gov.uk quad specific webpage doesn't make any mention of a mileage limit for an agri registered quad - although it does differentiate between 'limited use' and 'agricultural machine' class. https://www.gov.uk/quad-bikes-the-rules
    Last edited by Orion; 03-09-2016 at 22:19.

Yes, I found it delightfully vague when I scoured the internet. I asked BASC and they quoted the 1.5km limit. But I failed to actually find any legislation that makes that restriction. But that's not to say it isn't so...

I have a cd somewhere that goes through the process, it's not easy or as straight forward as you would first think.To start with if it's for agricultural you need to be an agricultural type business.If it's not agri it will need an M.O.T,if it's diesel it will have to run on white.Etc Etc

Best to look for one already registered then, or at least with lapsed registration. Thinking of selling the Argo and perhaps a quad and buying an RTV. Easier to get in and out of than an Argo and more weather proof than a quad.

Hmm, decisions decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Do you have any info/links regarding the distance an agri registered quad is permitted to travel on the road?

This appears to be all there is - the oft quoted 1.5km radius between properties in the same ownership refers to 'agricultural limited use' vehicles which is something else, not an agri registered quad.
    I think the 1.5Km might refer to tractors that don't/didn't need to be taxed/registered, but needed to be insured, traveling within/between land in the same ownership.
    Tractors taxed for the road, had to stay within 10 miles(or was it 15?) of the place they were kept.
    Things might have changed since tractor tax was changed to 0.
    The road haulage industry didn't like it when the new faster tractors started moving stuff about over larger distances. Not sure how the fuel situation is/was resolved.

I've just received a reply from the DVLA to my question "is there an on-road mileage restriction to a quad registered as 'light agricultural vehicle'? This is not registered as 'restricted use'". I've highlighted the relevant part:

"Dear Mr Orion

Thank you for your email received on 6/9/16. Your email reference number is XXXXXX.

If the vehicle is registered as an agricultural vehicle, you are able to use it on the road as long as it is used for purposes relating to agriculture; horticulture; forestry or activities falling within cutting grass verges; trees or hedges that border public roads. There is no restriction on distance.

If the vehicle is registered as limited use it can only be used on public roads to pass between different areas of land occupied by the same person. The distance travelled on roads must not exceed 1.5km (0.93 miles).

I hope this information is of assistance."

As far as I'm concerned my deer stalking and other shooting activities are related to agriculture and forestry as I'm protecting crops.

I purchased a quadzilla tracker 800, I told them I wanted to register it for road use so they supplied me with the necessary forms that I had to send off to DVLA. (Approval certificates etc).Sent to DVLA and got a registration document with the new vehicle reg etc back from them in about 2 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Essex stalker View Post
    I purchased a quadzilla tracker 800, I told them I wanted to register it for road use so they supplied me with the necessary forms that I had to send off to DVLA. (Approval certificates etc).Sent to DVLA and got a registration document with the new vehicle reg etc back from them in about 2 weeks

Was that as a straight PLG registration or Agri (no MOT required and no annual RFL to pay)