Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: But, but, but Nigel...you didn't say this might happen...

SD Regular

But, but, but Nigel...you didn't say this might happen...

http://news.sky.com/story/japans-unp...rexit-10564585

Meanwhile EIRE is busy promoting the fact that not only does it's workforce speak English but it's also in the EU. I can see, unless this gets sorted, all the big Japanese plants leaving within the next five years.

Total "f up" and all to satisfy the ego of the two tw'ts Farage and Gove...your 350m on the NHS? You can kiss that goodbye...it'll be going on unemployment benefits for redundant car workers in Sunderland, Derby and etc..
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 04-09-2016 at 14:48.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    http://news.sky.com/story/japans-unp...rexit-10564585

Meanwhile EIRE is busy promoting the fact that not only does it's workforce speak English but it's also in the EU. I can see, unless this gets sorted, all the big Japanese plants leaving within the next five years.

Total "f up" and all to satisfy the ego of the two tw'ts Farage and Gove...your 350m on the NHS? You can kiss that goodbye...it'll be going on unemployment benefits for redundant car workers in Sunderland, Derby and etc..
    Don't be so daft, the eu can't afford to impose punitive tariffs on the UK. We would just return the favour to BMW,FIAT, CITROEN, RENAULT etc etc, that's not counting all the other eu countries that export to us. Then you have the problem of the relevant populations up in arms because THEIR governments raised the cost of Japanese / British imports even if only short term. On top of that do you realise just how long it would take the Japanese to recoup the costs of moving whole car factories ? You don't just shove a car plant in the back of a transit van and drive over.

Got as far as this in the article.....

Japan pulls no punches in a 15-page report, warning that companies may leave the UK if Brexit negotiations are unsatisfactory.
    Then realised it is nothing more than a defeated remain campaign scare story. Words to describe the article;

• Bunkum
    • Bull
    • Codswallop
    • Cobblers
    • Dire

Life must move on. So must the EU, in fact, EU, jog on, we don't need you as much as you need us.

SD Regular
    Japanese play long term, not short term. For the few RHD cars sold here, after Brexit, they'll ship them in from Japan. For the LHD models made in UK they'll move the plant to EU. Same with the likes of Caterpillar. Such are those industries...if "X" adds 1.00 per component to production they'll look hard at subsequently taking "X" out of the equation.

Mercedes, BMW sell on "exclusivity" any price increase on UK models will enhance, not diminish, the brand. Indeed you price an item according what it's market will bear. Regardless of price. If Mercs and Beamers increase you won't see Mr PLC CEO or Mrs investment Banker downgrading to a Kia Pride...nor your dentist!

Now me, I'm fifty-nine in November, with a service pension due at sixty and a private pension at seventy. Plus three-quarters or so of the state pension at sixty-seven. I've no mortgage. And my son works in Australia and has residency there. So really couldn't care less that, long term, for the sake of morons like Gove that we've ruined our economy IF the Brexit 'turns nasty'.

Japanese play long term, not short term. For the few RHD cars sold here, after Brexit, they'll ship them in from Japan. For the LHD models made in UK they'll move the plant to EU. Same with the likes of Caterpillar. Such are those industries...if "X" adds 1.00 per component to production they'll look hard at subsequently taking "X" out of the equation.

Mercedes, BMW sell on "exclusivity" any price increase on UK models will enhance, not diminish, the brand. Indeed you price an item according what it's market will bear. Regardless of price. If Mercs and Beamers increase you won't see Mr PLC CEO or Mrs investment Banker downgrading to a Kia Pride...nor your dentist!

Now me, I'm fifty-nine in November, with a service pension due at sixty and a private pension at seventy. Plus three-quarters or so of the state pension at sixty-seven. I've no mortgage. And my son works in Australia and has residency there. So really couldn't care less that, long term, for the sake of morons like Gove that we've ruined our economy IF the Brexit 'turns nasty'.
    They may have done at one time but there seems to be more bmw's and audi's now than there were Mk3 Cortinas. I wouldn't have a beemer if you gave me one. In fact, some years ago bmw raised this issue themselves, they were concerned about losing the exclusivity with mass production but still went for the short term profit. It was in several papers.

As for japan, yes they go long term but still have to cough up to move complete car plants abroad, and if they do it will be years away yet.

Bahahahahahahahah the Japs lecturing us on Econimcs and business is as laughable as that twit obama. Biased wanky article. For the real look at Japan check out Abenomics https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abenomics. Those in glass housess and all thst.

If and when the car industry dies it will be purely on a cost of labour basis andd nothing more. They may well use the veil of Brexit but lets xall a spade a spade its simplr cost cutting.... Thankfully as the pound stays low we have a stay of execution for our service and manufacyuiring industries which is precsely what mamy economists projected.Tis wonderful

If you don't like the consequences you should have thought about it before putting that X in the "Leave" box. Get on your bikes and move to where there is work and stop whining.
    Just sayin....
    Last edited by Mungo; 04-09-2016 at 15:40.

SD Regular
    I agree RODP..haven't owned a BMW now for twenty years. My mate the same..he went to Mercs...I went to Mazda. BMW and Burberry...too 'chav' I fear! Same as Holland and Holland's imported O/U...

The Japanese will still be doing business in the UK, our workforce make quality automobiles, if we weren't, they would have shipped out long ago.

All of these so called PLC CEO and investment bankers are a minority and reflect as such in sales figures, it is the aspirational lower middle class that want these 'badges of success' on their drive. PLC CEO and investment bankers look at Jaguar or Range Rover, not the common Beamer or Mercedes.

The statements I have read do not sound like someone who couldn't care less. Brexit will not turn nasty. And many people are getting their knickers in a bunch over such a trivial referendum. In 4 years time when you look back, you will be wondering why you were stressing so much about it.

No one has ever made cars in Ireland, unless you count De Lorien in the North, and look how that turned out.