Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skull onto a shield?

Skull onto a shield?

Whats the best way to attach skulls to a shield? I've tried using some kind of resin in the past? I was thinking about using a screw through the board and into the base of the skull?

These are for full skulls with the teeth. Appreciate any advice!

I sanded a block of wood until it just fitted in to the brain cavity. I then used car filler putty around the block to fix it in place. Screw through shield in to block of wood. Easy!

I screwed straight through the board into the skull. It was my first ever mount and I wanted it done. I did it by hand rather than with an electric whizzer so I didn't shatter the skull by over tightening.

I do similar to Baguio, except I use Araldite to secure the wooden block to the skull
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

If it's full skull then what you suggest would work. Use a heavy screw and screw from the back of the shield into the thick bone on the bottom of the skull between the eyes. Just make sure you drill a pilot hole that is only a mm smaller in diameter than your screw in the bone and that is clearance in the shield. You can pull the skull so tight it will pull the teeth into the shield if you like, no need to be glueing wood in.

If it's a cut skull. In that case I would glue wood into the brain cavity and screw through from the back. I have used Epoxy, araldite and even Pvc glue and they all held. Pvc being dramatically cheaper.

I've used toggle bolts on a full skull and they make for a very secure fixing. Drill holes through the shield and the skull after getting it sitting the way you want it and carefully marking the position. Screw the bolt in and then using long nose pliers through the hole at the back of the skull to hold the toggle tighten it up. Job done

just buy one of them clamps from jagersport

Quote Originally Posted by stalker58 View Post
    +1

Easy!!

Quote Originally Posted by stalker58 View Post
    Are they more or less expensive than a single screw?

roe skulls one pack of five toggle bolts from bxq about 3x50p as above,i cant comment on other skulls or products to use on them,time will tell,
    DONT START