Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bullet cache unearthed

Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 06-09-2016 at 14:55.

That's pretty cool. I like the thinking of the guy who decided that making holes in them would make them screech through the air. That's devious, that is
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

The screech was probably used for sighting in on targets,giving an indication of where the shots were flying??

Or the holes were there to allow them to be threaded on a leather lace to make them easier to carry? An early form of bandolier.

Link doesn't work for me but reading the posts it sounds interesting.
    Has anybody put lighter flints in the top of hollow point bullets to make seeing the strike easier ?

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    Link doesn't work for me but reading the posts it sounds interesting.
    Try this one:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...tland-37260157

Quote Originally Posted by 2130martin View Post
    The screech was probably used for sighting in on targets,giving an indication of where the shots were flying??
    I imagine the screech emitted by the target would also give a fair indication as to where they landed?
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Did they have a Roman head stamp

We all know the Romans never got that far into Scotland. They were probably nicked by our marauding hoards and buried when they got home.
    I expect thousands of years into the future, when guns as we know them are long forgotten, Archaeologists will discover many more bullets in ranges also long abandoned. I wonder has anyone got a pic of the retrieved bullets occasionally removed from a range like Bisley, quite an impressive selection.. ...

Quote Originally Posted by Highlandsjohn View Post
    Archaeologists will discover many more bullets in ranges also long abandoned
    Wish I could be a fly on the wall if they ever excavate my garden. With the number of bones my Lab' buries, she'd have have them believing it was the site of a cow massacre