Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best all round .308 bullet for <130 yd all species deer.

Best all round .308 bullet for <130 yd all species deer.

I'm looking for recommendations for an all round bullet to hand load for use with a .308 22" barrel 1-10 twist. It is unlikely that I will be shooting at distances much in excess of 120 yards. Primary requirement is accuracy, if that's not obvious. I am currently reloading with 150 grain SST but a recent thread has given me pause for thought. I also find 155 grain A-Max very accurate, better than the SST. Ideally I'd like something good on all deer species, depending what is encountered at the time. I do have a .223 for use if I'm looking specifically at small species, but if a small species comes into my sights at the right time I'd like to have something left other than it's horns. All advice (on topic) appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootist View Post
    All advice (on topic) appreciated.
    Ah. Best I keep my homemade tomato-food recipe to myself then?
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

The best bullet and load is the one that goes where you aim.

I do hear good things about the 150gr Nosler Partition - I'm planning to start home loading later in the year (post wedding!!) and that will be the first head I try in my rifle.
    If you're shooting badly, you need a new gun. If you're shooting well then you deserve a new gun.

All kidding aside, if all your shooting is going to be sub-130 yard at deer, why the need for such accuracy? MOA will be more than adequate for all species at that range, surely
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Quote Originally Posted by stubear View Post
    I do hear good things about the 150gr Nosler Partition - I'm planning to start home loading later in the year (post wedding!!) and that will be the first head I try in my rifle.
    Years ago i loaded some 150grn Nosler partitions for a mate who was here hunting moose. They shot really well and he killed a big bull moose with them. I've still got some laying about somewhere.

I load 165 Norma Oryx and they shoot sub inch in my Mauser M03 and they same in my Heym falling block. I sighted in the Heym last weekend ready for my upcoming stalking trip to the UK in a few weeks. Will be trying for five of the six deer species in a two week long trip using a single shot rifle.

150 pro hunter as good as anything and cheap , they will drop anything in the uk

+ 1 for Seirra Pro Hunter 150 grain.

All about shot placement as ever but limited damage to roe if shot correctly

Quote Originally Posted by paul o' View Post
    150 pro hunter as good as anything and cheap , they will drop anything in the uk
    +2 for the sierra 150 pro hunter and also the 150 gamekings are as accurate and cheap.

Go up a weight to 165gr. Heavy and slow will put anything down, just get to the range, zero 2" high and you'll not have to worry about range out to 230yds
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)