Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying Scopes in New york - and getting back to UK

Buying Scopes in New york - and getting back to UK

Hi all

I am luck enough to be going to New York soon and was wondering what the hoops were to jump through to bring a riflescope or 2 back? Been looking at Vortex Diamondback scopes and availability (and price) is certainly better out there than in the UK.

Can I just throw them in my bag or should I be paying an export fee on top? Will have a proper google hunt later for info but was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience of this?

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

If it's a sporting rifle scope (which that is) then there are no export restrictions.

You would just declare it at UK customs and pay the Duty and VAT.

Cheers

Clive
    http://www.nightvisionstore.co.uk
    High end night vision digital, tubed and thermal monoculars, rifle scopes, clip ons, add ons, IR Illuminators and accessories.

Digital, thermal and tubed night vision rifle scopes - Handheld thermal imagers

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisWill184 View Post
    Hi all

I am luck enough to be going to New York soon and was wondering what the hoops were to jump through to bring a riflescope or 2 back? Been looking at Vortex Diamondback scopes and availability (and price) is certainly better out there than in the UK.

Can I just throw them in my bag or should I be paying an export fee on top? Will have a proper google hunt later for info but was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience of this?

Regards

Chris

I don't find NYC particularly cheap for anything to be honest especially in store. By the time you add on all the sales taxes unless you catch it in a sale its normally bloody expensive because of the location. You may find a retailer who will know the tax off as an overseas customer but unlikely. Are you planning on buying in store of shipping from out of state to a residence?

Anyway if you do buy or find a bargain. My advice would be to pack it loose in hand luggage a far as I know you have £390 allowance bringing stuff in so that scope would cause an issue and you have piece of mind some oik hasn't thrown it around. If you do end up buying 2/3 just wing it and see if customs notice/care which they probably won't to be honest.

On a side not I would visit the beretta store they are great in there and always happy to chat to Brits and have some wicked double rifles and shotguns to look at.

I think that there are some export restrictions in relation to scopes, so for example I think that you would be in hot water if you tried to bring a mildot scope back with you. Hopefully someone can point you in the direction of the specifics.
    Last edited by Oh6; 06-09-2016 at 19:27.

While I was in new York just be for Xmas last year. They wouldn't sell me any glass or night vision as I'm not from the states they were very polite and helpful but the answer was no. Sporting scope or otherwise. Hope this helps

Have a read through the relevant parts within the ITAR Restrictions as that will give you the definitive yes/no:
    https://www.pmddtc.state.gov/regulations_laws/itar.html

Best to know beforehand, rather than rely on a shop that is perfectly willing to take your money, knowing that you'll not get it out of the country!
    Sako 75 Syn/St 6.5x55mm - Swarovski Z6i 3-18x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

BH photo in New York - great selection and very knowledgeable staff think it's 9th - 42nd walkable from Times Square but the have a web site and app

Never bought in New York, but purchased numerous scopes, knives, bows, red dots , holographic scopes over the years, put them in your suitcase and have a nice holiday, never had a problem , had my bags checked, little red notice informing me and thanking me for my co operation.

I would avoid potential issues at Customs and in particular avoid getting into a scrap with USA officials by buying online and have them shipped to you. I used Scopes4You, it looks as if they are now called http://www.opticsforyou.com/ , they offer a fast and painless service , so you are likely to get your scope for some 20% less than the UK retail price, even after taking Shipping and Duty into consideration.

However for EU manufactered scopes you may be better off buying online in the Eurozone.

Either way, you will be better off than buying at 'rip off Britain' prices.
    A few wisdom's:
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men
    • If you can get closer, get closer.
    • If you can get more stable, get more stable.

Quote Originally Posted by adrian0100 View Post
    While I was in new York just be for Xmas last year. They wouldn't sell me any glass or night vision as I'm not from the states they were very polite and helpful but the answer was no. Sporting scope or otherwise. Hope this helps
    What??Scopes are not covered by any Federal laws with regard to purchase. I don't know about State ordinances but from a Federal standpoint, they had no right to refuse to sell you a scope based on your citizenship. It would never happen in Montana, I know that much. Walk up to the register, pay, and walk out.

As to the original post. See if you can conive a shipment to where you are going to be. ~Muir
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/barga..._SEQ_105678180