Thread: Opinions Please

Opinions Please

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a new rifle.

I'd be interested in hearing about pro's and cons on the following choices:

a) Sako 85
    b) Sauer 404
    c) Blaser R8 pro success

Mainly used for deer but might take it out after the occasional fox.

I have SAKO 85 stainless / synthetic in both .243 and .308 and have been very happy with them

Quote Originally Posted by ESussex View Post
    Hi All,

I'm in the market for a new rifle.

I'd be interested in hearing about pro's and cons on the following choices:

a) Sako 85
    b) Sauer 404
    c) Blaser R8 pro success

Mainly used for deer but might take it out after the occasional fox.
    Good rifles all of them. Buy the one that suits you and that you like. Forget about what other people like or don't like.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Buy the cheapest, that will be good enough, and spent your money on superior optics.
    A few wisdom's:
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men
    • If you can get closer, get closer.
    • If you can get more stable, get more stable.

They are all three good rifles but very different in feel and operation.

Sako 85 - good solid rifle in various different configurations and grades. Action and furniture is made from metal which for me is a very big positive.

Sauer 404 - can't speak of directly, but the 202 is a well built and put together rifle and the 404 is the next generation there-of. I nearly bought a 202 able but just could never get comfortable with it - it didn't fit me, or the version I was looking at did n't fit.

Blaser R8 - was recently in Germany shooting pigs. 12 guns and the 10 local hunters all were using R8s or R93's - a lot of them the thumbhole style. They are very good to handle and very fast to reload. But on the R8 all the trigger group and magazine internals are polymers. Polymers do decay with age and not just usage as is the case with metal, so will they be being used by our grandchildren in the same way as the Sako or old Mausers - haven't a clue. Also the R8 is expensive.

I would also have a look at the Heym SR21, and the Schultz and Larsen - similar price the Sako but a better more solid rifle methinks.

ive had a sako 85 for about the last 5 1/2 years and for what its worth its never given me any problems and will shoot just over 1/4 moa with sako factory ammo

I have a Sako 85 Stainless laminate varmint in 223, 20" barrel, with my favourite handloads its puts one on top of the other creating tiny raggedy holes

Ian.

After years of Sako/Tikka , my wife bought me a R8 pro success in .308/243 , to be honest I wish I had changed years ago -it just feels like it's made for me ,yes they are very expensive but in my opinion worth it.

Sussex if you like a flexi stock along with inadequate free floating barrel space go for the Blaser R8 Success. The over stiff cocking hammer might also be an issue for you but im sure you`d get use to it. Expensive factory ammunition or full size all your home loads every time..
    Sauer 404 well what can I say. A superb gun and I now regret not purchasing one. Better over all finish than a Blaser and not as picky with home loading.
    Sako 85 half decent budget gun, ive owned two of them over the years. Often suffer problems with the controlled feed magazine in certain calibre`s..
    Nice gun to customise and easy to reload for. Though I`d never own another..
    Hope this doesn't offend too many people

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    Sussex if you like a flexi stock along with inadequate free floating barrel space go for the Blaser R8 Success. The over stiff cocking hammer might also be an issue for you but im sure you`d get use to it. Expensive factory ammunition or full size all your home loads every time..
    Sauer 404 well what can I say. A superb gun and I now regret not purchasing one. Better over all finish than a Blaser and not as picky with home loading.
    Sako 85 half decent budget gun, ive owned two of them over the years. Often suffer problems with the controlled feed magazine in certain calibre`s..
    Nice gun to customise and easy to reload for. Though I`d never own another..
    Hope this doesn't offend too many people
    No offence taken �� I must be lucky in not suffering the for end flex issue and the barrel floats well enough to shoot one hole groups when I do my bit, yes I agree the cocking lever could be lighter but as I have hands like a gorilla I don't really notice it while hunting.