Opinions Please

ESussex

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a new rifle.

I'd be interested in hearing about pro's and cons on the following choices:

a) Sako 85
b) Sauer 404
c) Blaser R8 pro success

Mainly used for deer but might take it out after the occasional fox.

Hi All,

a) Sako 85
b) Sauer 404
c) Blaser R8 pro success

Good rifles all of them. Buy the one that suits you and that you like. Forget about what other people like or don't like.

They are all three good rifles but very different in feel and operation.

Sako 85 - good solid rifle in various different configurations and grades. Action and furniture is made from metal which for me is a very big positive.

Sauer 404 - can't speak of directly, but the 202 is a well built and put together rifle and the 404 is the next generation there-of. I nearly bought a 202 able but just could never get comfortable with it - it didn't fit me, or the version I was looking at did n't fit.

Blaser R8 - was recently in Germany shooting pigs. 12 guns and the 10 local hunters all were using R8s or R93's - a lot of them the thumbhole style. They are very good to handle and very fast to reload. But on the R8 all the trigger group and magazine internals are polymers. Polymers do decay with age and not just usage as is the case with metal, so will they be being used by our grandchildren in the same way as the Sako or old Mausers - haven't a clue. Also the R8 is expensive.

I would also have a look at the Heym SR21, and the Schultz and Larsen - similar price the Sako but a better more solid rifle methinks.

ive had a sako 85 for about the last 5 1/2 years and for what its worth its never given me any problems and will shoot just over 1/4 moa with sako factory ammo

I have a Sako 85 Stainless laminate varmint in 223, 20" barrel, with my favourite handloads its puts one on top of the other creating tiny raggedy holes

Ian.

After years of Sako/Tikka , my wife bought me a R8 pro success in .308/243 , to be honest I wish I had changed years ago -it just feels like it's made for me ,yes they are very expensive but in my opinion worth it.

Sussex if you like a flexi stock along with inadequate free floating barrel space go for the Blaser R8 Success. The over stiff cocking hammer might also be an issue for you but im sure you`d get use to it. Expensive factory ammunition or full size all your home loads every time..
Sauer 404 well what can I say. A superb gun and I now regret not purchasing one. Better over all finish than a Blaser and not as picky with home loading.
Sako 85 half decent budget gun, ive owned two of them over the years. Often suffer problems with the controlled feed magazine in certain calibre`s..
Nice gun to customise and easy to reload for. Though I`d never own another..
Hope this doesn't offend too many people :D

Sussex if you like a flexi stock along with inadequate free floating barrel space go for the Blaser R8 Success. The over stiff cocking hammer might also be an issue for you but im sure you`d get use to it. Expensive factory ammunition or full size all your home loads every time..
Sauer 404 well what can I say. A superb gun and I now regret not purchasing one. Better over all finish than a Blaser and not as picky with home loading.
Sako 85 half decent budget gun, ive owned two of them over the years. Often suffer problems with the controlled feed magazine in certain calibre`s..
Nice gun to customise and easy to reload for. Though I`d never own another..
Hope this doesn't offend too many people :D
No offence taken I must be lucky in not suffering the for end flex issue and the barrel floats well enough to shoot one hole groups when I do my bit, yes I agree the cocking lever could be lighter but as I have hands like a gorilla I don't really notice it while hunting.

Hi All,

a) Sako 85
b) Sauer 404
c) Blaser R8 pro success

You wont go wrong with any of those three,as said above,get what fits you best......

Good rifles all of them. Buy the one that suits you and that you like. Forget about what other people like or don't like.

+1 to that - it's your rifle and you'll be the one to shoot it! But you asked for opinions so FWIW I'd go with the order you list, and as Heym says, have a look at the SR21 and the S&L.

Just bought a used Sako 85 ss off a chap who has replaced it with the Blaser you mention.

I like the Sako and am not looking to get a Blaser.

I would refer to Erik's earlier comment.

No offence taken I must be lucky in not suffering the for end flex issue and the barrel floats well enough to shoot one hole groups when I do my bit, yes I agree the cocking lever could be lighter but as I have hands like a gorilla I don't really notice it while hunting.

If your a 5ft2 midget that finds size 6 boots too big and you have hands like David Rapport then you`ll struggle with the hammer safety on the R8, lol.
Hands like a gorilla then no problem.
Unicorn you either have the only R8 stock that doesn't flex? Or I had two brand new duff one`s that did..
I forgot to mention the plastic bendy trigger too and the bolt handle that's way too small for positive fast reloading..
Apart from that there ok..
I also forgot to mention you can buy two sako`s for the price of one Sauer or one Blaser..

If you are going to spend the but end of two thousand pounds on a 85?
Spend it on a rifle that's made in the old fashioned-way all parts made out of steel,
Precision engineered and from 1'350 to 1'900 pounds,
It has to be a Schultz& Larsen.

If you want a bread and butter working rifle that's a step up from your Tikkas and the like a Sako is great.
As long as you buy it in a reasonably fashionable calibre it'll keep it's value as well.
Just before I bought my last rifle I looked at Sauer, Blaser and the like, none of them guaranteed any better accuracy than the Tikkas and for the nicer finished rifles you were into £3K plus.
I couldn't justify that for a rifle that wasn't exactly what I wanted. I ended up buying a semi custom from Brock and Norris, with the stock I wanted and the barrel I wanted, and left hand etc etc, for similar money to the base Blasers and Sauers. It's accuracy makes factory rifles laughable.

It matters not to an out and out stalker, If it fits, & if it shoots to point of aim, & maybe cheap to feed, but if you are a stalker who needs to have a grade one stock or a top of the range optic, then the parameters are a little out.

If you are going to spend the but end of two thousand pounds on a 85?
Spend it on a rifle that's made in the old fashioned-way all parts made out of steel,
Precision engineered and from 1'350 to 1'900 pounds,
It has to be a Schultz& Larsen.

+1 on that. I have an S&L Victory which has standard wood and spiral fluting and that was about £1800. You can get them for around £1500 without the fluting, and the Classic models are around that or a bit less.

The reason I mention them is that S&L are one of the few makers which still cut rifle their barrels (which takes about three hours) as opposed to most other makers who cold hammer forge (takes about half an hour). As a result the barrels are very good quality.

Check them out, they're well worth a look. And if you cant make your mind up go down to Ivythorn Sporting and try them all out - They definitely sell S&L and Sako, and I think they sell Blaser and Sauer as well.

If you want a bread and butter working rifle that's a step up from your Tikkas and the like a Sako is great.
As long as you buy it in a reasonably fashionable calibre it'll keep it's value as well.
Just before I bought my last rifle I looked at Sauer, Blaser and the like, none of them guaranteed any better accuracy than the Tikkas and for the nicer finished rifles you were into £3K plus.
I couldn't justify that for a rifle that wasn't exactly what I wanted. I ended up buying a semi custom from Brock and Norris, with the stock I wanted and the barrel I wanted, and left hand etc etc, for similar money to the base Blasers and Sauers. It's accuracy makes factory rifles laughable.

I couldn't agree more Nog ;) That post could well save a lot of people a lot of money and a whole lot of disappointment too.
Forget all the forum hype about premium grade rifles shooting little ragged holes because there not as good as what there made out to be..

Back