Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which organisation to join????

Which organisation to join????

Hi guys, wondering which organisation to join... My position, just returned to stalking after years out of it (thanks to all for previous advice on here), FAC and rifle sorted, at moment paid stalking (though feelers are firmly out with business contacts etc. which will hopefully come to fruition) Live about ten miles from Bisley and closer to another range, and wondering what organisation to join for best support and value.

BASC - obviously, seems good for insurance cover, plus ability to book ranges on behalf of.
    NRA - obviously, local and allows me to book bisley lanes etc. bit unsure other than that and I've heard lots of negative stories
    Local Rifle Club - meeting with them tomorrow, will find out more then, but shoot monthly at my local range (longmoor) which would be convenient to keep my eye in
    BDS - membership benefits don't appear very clear...

So, realistically, they all seem to be asking for about half a hundred quid of my money - who deserves the best part of a days hard earned take home?

If you are looking round try the National Gamekeepers Organisation, very friendly and approacheable, 30 yearly and 10,000,000 insurance cover.

Brianm

NGO does it for me and if you are looking for a club at Bisley you will not go far wrong with the BSRC very friendly bunch of people.

Ken

As always it depends on what you want from your membership - political representation, lobbying, insurance etc etc.

To clarify the BDS position, the Society is a charity that exists for the good and benefit of deer - NOT the membership.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Country View Post
    As always it depends on what you want from your membership - political representation, lobbying, insurance etc etc.

To clarify the BDS position, the Society is a charity that exists for the good and benefit of deer - NOT the membership.
    With no insurance!!!!!!!!!! The BDS do not offer insurance as part of their membership, you have to take it out seperately.

If you are shooting I would strongly suggest that you need third party insurance, many shoots and syndicates insist upon this. There are several that will provide similar cover, SACS, NGO, BASC and you can even source very similar cover for 20.00, I was sent the link by a friend from this site.

However, I pay my subs to the BASC because I believe it the best organisation to defend our sport. I think you will agree that the local BASC northwest rep who spoke from Whitehaven just after the recent tragedy was a credit to the organisation, as was Mike Eveleigh on Newsnight. You pays your money, you takes your chance. Just make sure you have insurance!!

ft
    Last edited by flytie; 26-06-2010 at 21:35. Reason: illiteracy
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by flytie View Post

However, I pay my subs to the BASC because I believe it the best organisation to defend our sport. I think you will agree that the local BASC northwest rep who spoke from Whitehaven just after the recent tragedy was a credit to the organisation, as was Mike Eveleigh on Newsnight. You pays your money, you takes your chance. Just make sure you have insurance!!

ft
    My thoughts exactly. My membership is about so much more than insurance.
    "Imagine you're a deer. You're prancing along, you get thirsty, you spot a little brook, you put your little deer lips down to the cool clear water... BAM! A f**kin bullet rips off part of your head! Your brains are laying on the ground in little bloody pieces! Now I ask ya. Would you give a f**k what kind of pants the son of a bitch who shot you was wearing?"

ft,

Remember, BDS is not a Stalkers Organisation. It is a Charity for deer welfare. Nothing wrong with giving to a charity, if that's what you want to do.

Next I'll expect someone complaining about giving to H4H and getting no insurance.....

Stan
    Last edited by smullery; 26-06-2010 at 22:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    NGO does it for me and if you are looking for a club at Bisley you will not go far wrong with the BSRC very friendly bunch of people.

Ken
    Seconded for BSRC - great club.

BASC for me. Not perfect by any means but more good points than bad.

Hi

For me it would be the NGO for insurance and political campaigning, BRSC for access to Bisley and St Huburts for the stalking side.

All are run by shooters and hunters for shooters and hunters. No one gets a fat salary or free jollies at the expense of the membership no one.