Which organisation to join????

Labrat

Hi guys, wondering which organisation to join... My position, just returned to stalking after years out of it (thanks to all for previous advice on here), FAC and rifle sorted, at moment paid stalking (though feelers are firmly out with business contacts etc. which will hopefully come to fruition) Live about ten miles from Bisley and closer to another range, and wondering what organisation to join for best support and value.

BASC - obviously, seems good for insurance cover, plus ability to book ranges on behalf of.
NRA - obviously, local and allows me to book bisley lanes etc. bit unsure other than that and I've heard lots of negative stories
Local Rifle Club - meeting with them tomorrow, will find out more then, but shoot monthly at my local range (longmoor) which would be convenient to keep my eye in
BDS - membership benefits don't appear very clear...

So, realistically, they all seem to be asking for about half a hundred quid of my money - who deserves the best part of a days hard earned take home?

If you are looking round try the National Gamekeepers Organisation, very friendly and approacheable, £30 yearly and £10,000,000 insurance cover.

Brianm

NGO does it for me and if you are looking for a club at Bisley you will not go far wrong with the BSRC very friendly bunch of people.

Ken

As always it depends on what you want from your membership - political representation, lobbying, insurance etc etc.

To clarify the BDS position, the Society is a charity that exists for the good and benefit of deer - NOT the membership.

As always it depends on what you want from your membership - political representation, lobbying, insurance etc etc.

To clarify the BDS position, the Society is a charity that exists for the good and benefit of deer - NOT the membership.

With no insurance!!!!!!!!!! The BDS do not offer insurance as part of their membership, you have to take it out seperately.

If you are shooting I would strongly suggest that you need third party insurance, many shoots and syndicates insist upon this. There are several that will provide similar cover, SACS, NGO, BASC and you can even source very similar cover for £20.00, I was sent the link by a friend from this site.

However, I pay my subs to the BASC because I believe it the best organisation to defend our sport. I think you will agree that the local BASC northwest rep who spoke from Whitehaven just after the recent tragedy was a credit to the organisation, as was Mike Eveleigh on Newsnight. You pays your money, you takes your chance. Just make sure you have insurance!!

ft

Last edited:
However, I pay my subs to the BASC because I believe it the best organisation to defend our sport. I think you will agree that the local BASC northwest rep who spoke from Whitehaven just after the recent tragedy was a credit to the organisation, as was Mike Eveleigh on Newsnight. You pays your money, you takes your chance. Just make sure you have insurance!!

ft

My thoughts exactly. My membership is about so much more than insurance.

ft,

Remember, BDS is not a Stalkers Organisation. It is a Charity for deer welfare. Nothing wrong with giving to a charity, if that's what you want to do.

Next I'll expect someone complaining about giving to H4H and getting no insurance.....;)

Stan

Last edited:
Hi

For me it would be the NGO for insurance and political campaigning, BRSC for access to Bisley and St Huburts for the stalking side.

All are run by shooters and hunters for shooters and hunters. No one gets a fat salary or free jollies at the expense of the membership no one.

ft,

Remember, BDS is not a Stalkers Organisation. It is a Charity for deer welfare. Nothing wrong with giving to a charity, if that's what you want to do.

Next I'll expect someone complaining about giving to H4H and getting no insurance.....;)

Stan
Stan, that would be a valid point apart from the fact that the last time I entered the BDS debate on this site, one member of the BDS had not realised he was no longer insured by them. There used to be insurance as part of the fee, but it is no longer
offered as standard. Seemingly they did not give their members enough notice of intent to not supply insurance, as at least one more BDS member I know personally also did not realise it either.

I think there is more than a small amount of difference between the two, I for one, am more than happy to raise money for H4H, I am less so for the BDS.

ft

Hi

It is my opinion based upon personal experience that the hierarchy at the BDS see stalkers and especially stalkers who raise money for the society at a local, or regional levels simply as cash cows. For the society to do with as it or should I say they so choose with any monies raised or paid in as dues. Whilst stalkers form the bulk of the societies membership in most if not all of the regions they have the least say in how the monies raised are spent.
A criticism that has been levelled at BASC on more than one occasion.

The sooner we have one representative body for all hunters and country sportsmen the sooner we can actually influence the political debate and there by influence the political process. Whilst I disagree with and deplore everything they stand for I have to admit that the Anti Blood Sports movement is far more politically savvy and manages to get their twisted campaign messaged across to the voting public far better than anything the Pro Blood Sports lobby ever has. Having a majority urban population that are by and large divorced from the realities that are the countryside helps them no end of course. But we really do need to get our act together before them, the anti blood sorts campaigners, muster behind some secondary agenda political/environmental crusade. The latest one they have embraced being the use of lead in shooting sports of course.

(Quote .)Smullery Remember, BDS is not a Stalkers Organisation. It is a Charity for deer welfare. Nothing wrong with giving to a charity, if that's what you want to do.

Stan

I really do not think there is any comparison and i hope you had your tounge firmly in your cheek when you wrote that.:eek:

Choc,

Firmly in cheek.

I've been a member of BDS for three years now, purely because I feel I want to support an organisation/charity that is looking at deer, not looking at deer shooters. At no point since 2007 have I seen any mention from BDS that they include insurance.

Now, why is cheap insurance seen to be the deciding point on Association membership? I'm with BASC but still buy insurance from NFU in addition in order to cover UK and Worldwide medical rescue, damage to rifles under any circumstance etc.

Only my NFU insurance has paid out on my hotel bill claim for being stuck on return from South Africa (week in Paris) in April because of the Volcanic issue, because of loss of access to my rifles. This stopped me getting a Eurostar route as French Customs wouldn't release them. EURO 900 of bills sorted in three weeks. GBP 50 a year for unlimited rescue, GBP 20 million third party. This is a policy I worked out with them as I shoot abroad at least twice a year. It offers me more than BASC but I still choose to be a member of BASC, their insurance not being the point.

Stan

SACS
£10 million (applies anywhere in the world while on holiday)
£10000 legal fees cover
Applies to Pro's ie Contractors etc.
They also did a lot of work on the Wildlife & Evonment Bill.
£30.00 pa.

Nuff said

Back