Thread: Stalon vs DPT Moderators

Post Stalon vs DPT Moderators

Evening,

A few people have recommended the DPT moderator, and it seems very light, small and compact. I went in to my local (big) gunshop today and he said the best on the market is the Stalon W110 - I had chance to compare both in my hand, although the DPT was in there by accident as he had not ordered it and knew nothing about them.

Looking at the specs, the DPT seems smaller and lighter, but has anyone compared both by shooting - specifically sound reduction, longevity and durability.

Specs are:

DPT Stalon
    Length 205mm ?
    Forward Length 105mm 110mm
    Weight 260gr 380gr
    Diameter 44.5mm

Its to replace a T8 mod on a 308 Tikka, and to go on my 243 Tikka when I get it.

Evening Karl,have you considered any of the ase mods? I have the north star on my tikka .243 and swear by it

I doubt whether you will find someone who has compared both. From looking at the specs the following can be summised

1. The Stalon is twice as heavy as the DPT so will aftect the feel and pointabity of the rifle.
    2. The Stalon by being heavier will more than likely reduce the sound more but by how much depends on many things to do with the bullets you are shooting.
    3. By being light weight both will gas cut and therefore the one with replaceable parts (DPT) will be an advantage.
    4. As Steve in Ivythorn says,"All light weight mods should be considered to be essentially disposable"
    5. Neither are range mods but stalking mods.
    6. Neither will be as good as your T8 at reducing sound or living as long.

I have two DPT's am very pleased with them one on a 6.5x55 the other on a 30-06. They are used for stalking only (I have a T8 for range work) and do all I want from a light weight mod. On either a 308 or 243 they will work just fine.

BE
    Last edited by big ears; 08-09-2016 at 22:41. Reason: Dyslexic spelling!

Jdt - until I heard about these two yes, an ASE was top of the list - and still will be considered.

BE - thank you for your useful comments. Out of interest what is the POI difference between the T8 and DPT, are we talking a few inches or more? Good to hear you like the DPT, it seems to be small and lightweight, it's good to know parts are replaceable.

I have no experience of the Stalon but, coincidentally using Ivythorn's excellent facilities (100m range, plus "fire before you buy"), I compared the DPT to my existing T8 moderator. In terms of noise the difference was not, to me, materially different. But the weight saving is dramatic, and I bought the DPT. From memory the POI difference was the order of a couple of inches: I intend to re-zero when I pick up my new DPT, and certainly would not assume that a DPT and T8 are interchangeable without it

Ive never used or heard of the Stalon but I have a DPT on my 204 ruger my .223 and I will be getting one on my new 6.5 creedmoor.
    Brilliant Mods, very quiet, stripable and light as a feather and beautifully made.

Quote Originally Posted by karlbird View Post
    Jdt - until I heard about these two yes, an ASE was top of the list - and still will be considered.

BE - thank you for your useful comments. Out of interest what is the POI difference between the T8 and DPT, are we talking a few inches or more? Good to hear you like the DPT, it seems to be small and lightweight, it's good to know parts are replaceable.
    Hi it was about 3" higher with the DPT. still grouped well. The rifle also happily now comes to the shoulder of you needed to take a quick follow up shot.

BE