Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .223 or 22.250

.223 or 22.250

Evening all a question that has probably been covered in previous threads but here goes,certificate has come up for renewal and I'm going to add one of the above to it but not sure which one,I know there will be lovers and haters of either calibre but would like opinions anyway,whichever I go for will primarily be for fox, be great to hear your thoughts. Cheers

Whilst the 22-250 does have a bit of extra gumption, the 223 is accurate, efficient and easy to shoot. Ive had both and now i have 2 x 223s.
    I have taken pigs, goats and fallow deer with mine. So pretty versatile.

22-250 is pretty hard on the fur. When I'm going after fox I go no bigger than 223 causes to much damage. On coyotes the 22-250 really shines.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdt View Post
    Evening all a question that has probably been covered in previous threads but here goes,certificate has come up for renewal and I'm going to add one of the above to it but not sure which one,I know there will be lovers and haters of either calibre but would like opinions anyway,whichever I go for will primarily be for fox, be great to hear your thoughts. Cheers
    I've had both. Now use .223. Cheap to run and at real world ranges will do as good a job. But 22-250 is fun to reload for very, very fast.

I have a .22-250 and it comes into its element lamping or using night vision when range estimation can be tricky. Really flat and using Hornady superformance 50g or 55g is point and shoot on fox out to 300 yards with a 1 inch high at 100 yard zero. Excellent round and very forgiving. I've pulled a shot or 2 before now and bullet has ended up in the gut of a fox but hey ho still dropped like a stone.

If you find yourself down my way at any time your welcome to come have a blast.

Regards
    Dan

22-250 is a very good flat shooting and on fox hard hitting calibre. But for the UK with our tight and limited gun laws I can't help feeling the 243 might be a better option. With the 55 / 60 gr bullets it is as fast and as flat shooting that there is very little to choose between, yet with bigger bullets it is also legal for all deer and thus can serve as a backup to your main stalking rifle.

222/223 very nice soft shooting and accurate, but not as flat shooting, but inside 200 not a lot of real world difference. Ammo is quite a bit cheaper though.

Ive had both .223 and .22-250 and kept the .223 for foxing. The .22-250 is a beast and turns Mr Fox literally inside out.
    It is accurate and flat shooting but prefer the lower recoil of the .223.
    I swapped the .22-250 for a .204 ruger.

My mate shoots 22-250 because he's was doing a good bit of lamping with another mates dad who is a keeper/fox sniper! After watching him shoot a 638yd magpie he was sold. My uncle however shoots the 223 howa rifle and it's also deadly accurate. The 223 was quieter but it did have a moderator on it so obviously it would be! Also we were shooting the 22-250 at night and the 223 in the day which always makes a difference sound wise! I was very impressed with the howa package and with the box mag conversion. I've got a 243 because it shoots the light bullets - 62 grain Barnes varmint grenades and the 58grain hornaday bullets like a laser and by some miracle it shoots 100grain Sierra soft points with the same POI as the 62grainers. Id probably get the 223 off the back of being very impressed with the howa setup.

.22-250 all day long for me. I've had one for a while now and is my main foxing calibre. I've used .223 for fox but myself personally prefer the destruction that the .22-250 and a light bullet gives. Especially if the fox is on the trot as it allows for bullet placement to be slightly off but still puts Charlies lights out instantly. Like Shropshire Dan said as well, its very useful if range estimation is difficult due to night shooting or new/unfamiliar terrain. Was also shooting 350-400yd crows the other night as well after id been out on a zero check with spectacular results .

22-250 very fast flat shooting and accurate, if you want to try one pm me and we can have a trip to the range so you can try it
    cheers
    Ray