Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ferrets/Polecats

Ferrets/Polecats

Hello all,

Im after buying a couple of Ferrets or Polecats, ideally Jill's and Not kits as I want to start working them straight away, I'm struggling to source some up here in sunny SW Scotland so I'm willing to travel ( within reason). Is it just me or did everyone seem to have ferrets when we were kids.
    Thankyou in advance if you can help me out.

Cheers ,
    Scott

Apparently Essex has a ferret rescue centre for abandoned ferrets and pole cats. They are often looking for people to home them. May be you have a similar thing in your area?

Try stinger cargill on here up there, and hes been trying to sell some, not sure if he has any left,
    DONT START

I have a mixture of adult and this years available but too far for you I reckon (Suffolk)
    Will have a load of ferreting gear up for sale soon including boxes, locators, collars, purse nets and long nets

The last of my kits went last week, although I gave them all away for free, mainly to young people starting out I could have sold them twice over.
    I'm always around Castle Douglas and could have traveled with a couple for you.
    There used to be a Ferret rescue place inn Carlisle, don't know if they're still going.

I may have found some not so far away from me , but they are young . Not knowing much about ferrets, how old are they generally when you can start hunting with them.

Fursty Ferret, give us a PM when you are selling your gear as I may be interested.
    Cheers, Scott

Quote Originally Posted by fordbank View Post
    I may have found some not so far away from me , but they are young . Not knowing much about ferrets, how old are they generally when you can start hunting with them.

Fursty Ferret, give us a PM when you are selling your gear as I may be interested.
    Cheers, Scott
    Assuming you wont be ferreting until late Autumn/Winter there is no reason why you cant work them in their first season.....i allways do! Just dont expect miracles from them, and know when to stop.....they wont have the stamina for long ferreting sessions. Always good to run experienced ferrets along side them if you "need" results and young ferrets may not work the warren as hard as an experienced one that knows not to regularly surface untill rabbits have been emptied or killed.
    I have always found them fast learners though. They will bolt rabbits, Just be patient with them and let them do their thing and find their way. To be honest its in their second season that they tend to start performing to any standard.

To be honest I was wanting to start straight away so I can throw some rabbits in the pen to get my spaniels sharpened up for the start of our shooting come october

Get yourself a field net,no digging,no feeding,no manure,
    DONT START