Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First Red Stag

First Red Stag

Was lucky enough to be in a position on Friday evening to shoot my first Red stag whilst out stalking with Baguio from the SD. Not the most epic stalk in the world but a night I will never forget.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Red Stag 02.JPG 
Views:	259 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	74179Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2673.JPG 
Views:	277 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	74186Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2665.JPG 
Views:	261 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	74188Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2674.JPG 
Views:	265 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	74189Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2684.JPG 
Views:	620 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	74183Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2686.JPG 
Views:	648 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	74181

Not the best pictures on the planet but my camera has a cracked screen, hence the black spots.

Be interested to see peoples thoughts on a rough age of him? He weighed 253 lbs at the game dealers and has 14 points.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2671.JPG  
    Last edited by Grand Slam; 08-09-2016 at 13:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Slam View Post
    Was lucky enough to be in a position on Friday evening to shoot my first Red stag whilst out stalking with Baguio from the SD. Not the most epic stalk in the world but a night I will never forget.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Red Stag 02.JPG 
Views:	259 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	74179Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2673.JPG 
Views:	277 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	74186Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2665.JPG 
Views:	261 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	74188Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2674.JPG 
Views:	265 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	74189Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2684.JPG 
Views:	620 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	74183Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2686.JPG 
Views:	648 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	74181

Not the best pictures on the planet but my camera has a cracked screen, hence the black spots.

Be interested to see peoples thoughts on a rough age of him? He weighed 253 lbs at the game dealers and has 14 points.
    You might be surprised how young he was, the clue is in how occluded the skull is where the sections meet, heavily ridged = old the reverse = young. Your stag seems to be missing trey tines and for an East Anglian stag is fairly short, but I can't see the detail on the skull, my guess is not more than middle aged but I could be shot down in flames!

I shot a Norfolk 11 pointer that weighed about the same in the jacket as yours but the skull revealed it to be quite young (possibly just around 5 years old) and sometimes I wish I'd left him as clearly he had great potential. One of the stags he hung out with was getting on for a 20 pointer but I never saw him in good enough light for an accurate count.

Agree with the above, probably a 4-5 year old but the photos aren't particularly clear to be able to say for certain.
    Well done, not a bad way to start.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Fantastic first stag you may never get another as big well done.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory." LLAP Leonard Nimoy 1931 - 2015

Well done my first was a cull stag ,with a deformed antlers 14 points is a corker atb
    she buys shoes i buy ,shooting,she stops buying shoes,il be amazed

Quote Originally Posted by paul k View Post
    You might be surprised how young he was, the clue is in how occluded the skull is where the sections meet, heavily ridged = old the reverse = young. Your stag seems to be missing trey tines and for an East Anglian stag is fairly short, but I can't see the detail on the skull, my guess is not more than middle aged but I could be shot down in flames!

I shot a Norfolk 11 pointer that weighed about the same in the jacket as yours but the skull revealed it to be quite young (possibly just around 5 years old) and sometimes I wish I'd left him as clearly he had great potential. One of the stags he hung out with was getting on for a 20 pointer but I never saw him in good enough light for an accurate count.

We aged him on the hoof at around 4 years old. I have since aged him using tooth wear and eruption and turns out he is around 3 years and 3-4 months old. He was the smallest one of a group of 4. Just had I wasn't alone when I pulled the trigger

Quote Originally Posted by tozzybum View Post
    Well done my first was a cull stag ,with a deformed antlers 14 points is a corker atb

Many first stag was going to be a spiker mate but by the time we had got into a suitable position to approach the spiker had gone and this group were there. Still fell within the full plan so alls well that ends well.

Quote Originally Posted by paul k View Post
    I shot a Norfolk 11 pointer that weighed about the same in the jacket as yours but the skull revealed it to be quite young (possibly just around 5 years old) and sometimes I wish I'd left him as clearly he had great potential.
    Paul, you done the right thing by shooting it. An 11 point 5 year old around East Anglia was lucky to have survived that long as it was a cull stag. It should have been a 16 pointer + and weighing 300lbs by then. It certainly wasn't something that had potential for anything other than as dinner in a decent restaurant!

Well done GS and Baguio,one to remember that beauty!!