Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6.5 x 47 Lap v 6.5 Creedmoor v 260 Rem.

6.5 x 47 Lap v 6.5 Creedmoor v 260 Rem.

One rifle for deer, all UK species, which one?!

I'm a little biased having 2 x 260 Rem. It's the only one of the three that you can buy ammunition for and even then it's not cheap. Regards JCS

260rem. As JCS says, ammo is available. Its also the most versatile, bullet weight wise

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Lapua for me, and as its been said before you can always make your 47 into a .260 by loosening an action screw.

i'v got a lap its a real bug hole'r drops fallow and anything I have pointed it at ,but would add this you can't find hunting ammo off the shelf target stuff cost cases dies are so reloading is your only choice ,but you can find 260 ammo most places

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/reviews/...rtridge-review

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	387.2 KB 
ID:	74199If your thinking of those chambering's and comparing them, I'd have thought that availability of factory ammo wouldn't have even been a consideration because getting he best out of even the .260 requires homeloading?????

There is a lot of info written about this comparison on-line. One of the outcomes of that was a suggestion that the .260 offered a wee bit more MV. I wouldn't see that as an advantage for stalking deer. Not out to deerstalking distances at least. Why would it be necessary? My 6.5x47 hasn't been chronoed yet but QL is suggesting about 2700fps with Nosler 120grn BT and 40grns of H4350. It is superbly accurate, genuine ragged hole groups at 100yds. I shot a large red stag a week or so ago through both shoulder blades and the external damage was minimal despite hitting heavy bone twice. Internal lungs a mess. To me that is perfect performance and I wouldn't go chasing another 150fps for shooting out to 250-300m maximum on game. There isn't any point. My choice of the above would'nt therefore be based on what produces the highest MV.

As to bullet choice, I can still use 140's in the 47Lapua, again why the need for an extra 100fps or so one of the others offers????

It's potential accuracy that would sway it for me and even then they are all pretty close. From what I read however and the one that seems to be offering that is the Lapua.

I spoke to Callum Ferguson a while back over a beer and asked him if he was building a rifle for himself nowadays for use in the UK what would he chamber it in? 6.5x47Lapua was the answer without any hesitation. 260 used to be his most commonly asked for chambering in custom rifles, now it's the 6.5Lapua.

The above target, although not right way up for some reason was a 3 shot group in the tunnel range after the single shot to sight in. I shot a fourth right on top of those three after I took photo from laptop screen. That's the first load I developed for the rifle after it was built, I won't even try and improve now. What's the point for deer? I've no doubt someone else with the inclination and time could even bring that in but 0.2-0.3 at 100 good enough for me.
    Last edited by jamross65; 08-09-2016 at 19:38.

For deer I would go 6.5x55

honestly don't get sucked into the argument. All of them will shoot <.5 MOA groups at 100 yards.

Let me throw something into the mix. Take a shot off sticks as Bambi steps forward. Second shot required. You are stood in long grass. That's 2 pieces of brass lost forever. How frustrating when it's 1 a piece lapua 6.5x47 .260 or creedmoor.

What about that last minute invite when going haven't got any rounds loaded or the Gucci bullets with a high BC aren't on stock.

Thats when the 6.5x55 will kick your arse. Just load it to current ratings when loading your own or pop down the local shop when in need.

And if you want to knock deer over buy a .308 and run 120-130gr bullets.
    "If you can't see it, you can't shoot it"

Quote Originally Posted by scotch_egg View Post
    For deer I would go 6.5x55

honestly don't get sucked into the argument. All of them will shoot <.5 MOA groups at 100 yards.

Let me throw something into the mix. Take a shot off sticks as Bambi steps forward. Second shot required. You are stood in long grass. That's 2 pieces of brass lost forever. How frustrating when it's 1 a piece lapua 6.5x47 .260 or creedmoor.

What about that last minute invite when going haven't got any rounds loaded or the Gucci bullets with a high BC aren't on stock.

Thats when the 6.5x55 will kick your arse. Just load it to current ratings when loading your own or pop down the local shop when in need.

And if you want to knock deer over buy a .308 and run 120-130gr bullets.
    They won't all necessarily shoot sub 0.5" unless you home load. So how many lost cases using your long grass scenario will it take before you have to go and either buy brass for the 6.5x55 or a couple of boxes of factory then waste several shots re-zeroing? The 6.5x55 is old hat, almost boring TBH , uses more powder and generally requires a long action. The others, especially the Lapua can be used in a nice stiff short action and require less powder. It's nowhere near 1 a pop for brass if you go to the right supplier....

Anyway, the 6.5x55 didn't feature in the OP's short list....

I run a 260 rem for years , it's awesome !

currently having it rebarrelled creedmoor purely for factory ammo with Amax heads

performance wise there's nothing in it but the 260 just comes out on top by a gnats nadger
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !