Ruger 300 blackout

jb7x57

Just bought one today looks good value for money. My local gunshop had 3 new ones on their delivery order come in today, will be giving it a go at the range tomorrow, came with 16 inch barrel factory screw cut and scope rail fitted

You can get them deer legal just with 110 grn, more for quiet fox with subsonic 200 grn at up to 150 yards

You can get them deer legal just with 110 grn, more for quiet fox with subsonic 200 grn at up to 150 yards

Do you have any info on or links to loads that will achieve the 1700 ft/lb limit?

I have a Ruger American Ranch 300BLK on order at the moment and am looking forward to trying it out both sub and supersonic.

I have had a 300 AAC Ruger for about 10 months and have used bullets from 100 to 220 grain. You will have a very hard time reaching the 1700 ft/lb mark if that's your goal. The closest i have come to that energy level is the 130 grain Federal S.O.S.T. bullet (frangible military) at 2380 fps. Just over 1600 ft/lbs and I was flattening primers using Accurate Arms 1680 and Lil Gun.

That said, it is one of the most enjoyable cartridges I shoot. I have shot Sierra 135 grain HP's out to 500 yards on a 7 x 13" steel target. Initial speed was 2100 fps needing 25MOA up elevation from the 100 yard zero. That was a lot of fun. Shot the same size plate at 340 using Sierra Palma Match 155's at around 1950 fps and scored 13 consecutive hits prone. Again. serious fun. I hope you enjoy yours.~Muir

I can see it's military short range applications, AR platform, quiet, heavy bullet. I looked into it for foxing, mainly because of how quiet it was, but it's limited energy, and huge drop, put me off a little on the bigger stuff. I'm sure there's a place for one in the cabinet though.

Years ago, a friend and I put together a .300 Whisper on a Thompson single shot with a 24 inch barrel, for taking deer in populated areas, where they were coming from a park and eating gardens. With the 200-gr Sierra MK, we could wait until a car passed on a highway nearby for taking the shot, and no one knew we were there. All the deer fell in their tracks.

Another friend, a gunsmith and designer with several patents, builds them on an AR platform with an integral suppressor - much fun to shoot, and can reach out there with 125-gr bullets.

The only thing that makes the 300 AAC unsuitable for deer in the UK is local law. I know a guy who hunts mule deer out to 200 yards with a AR using 125 Noslers and 110 grain V-MAX.~Muir

Legal for muntjac and cwd with most loads from what I can find, will start working for other deer

Legal for muntjac and cwd with most loads from what I can find, will start working for other deer
Well if you do magically find a large deer legal load, please share, as none of the 9 powders/15 bullet choices I've tried so far get anywhere close.

I'm just looking at 277 Wolverine as an alternate to 300 AAC. All interesting and suitably esoteric for the shooting community.......

.277WLV does sound interesting, 100grn Accubond would suit it well, My 300Blk has been very good though, regularly shooting foxes at 160+

Back