Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scout Rifle.

Scout Rifle.

I am looking into purchasing a scout rifle, either the Ruger Gunsite Scout or the Steyr Scout in .308. I like the concept of a handy, light(er) rifle for woodland stalking. My Sako 85 with all the crap on it weighs nearly 10lbs, too heavy, unwieldy and unbalanced. I've come to realise manufacturers quoted weight figures for their rifles seem to be universally exaggerated. Any thoughts welcome, especially if you own, or have owned, either of these rifles.

I have a scout 308 stainless fluted . In Wales long range shooting at 600yds was as good as a heavy long barrel rifle for groups. Good accurate rifle, short barrel in truck good in woodland and high seat. Not to heavy in Scotland when on the hind cull.
    Love it.

They're not that light.

If you're going to mount a regular scope (not forward mounted scope), get something else. If on budget, Tikka T3 Lite weighs 10% less, costs less and is as good or better for your intended purpose. Search for NZ bush pig rifles if you need any inspiration...

Quote Originally Posted by jthyttin View Post
    They're not that light.

If you're going to mount a regular scope (not forward mounted scope), get something else. If on budget, Tikka T3 Lite weighs 10% less, costs less and is as good or better for your intended purpose. Search for NZ bush pig rifles if you need any inspiration...
    I'd agree with that.
    If you don't need the 10 shot capacity the T3 standard mags will save a lot of weight.
    Chop the barrel to 18" on a T3 Lite 308 fit a light stock if you like, a lightweight scope/mounts and you'd be as light as you would want to go.
    The scout rifle idea is overrated for hunting.
    btw, the 1.7-10x42 Meopta R2 I thought would be fantastic for such a project, even has a daytime red dot and not too heavy.
    edi

I think the problem you may have with your Sako 85 set up is probably not necessarily the weight of the rifle but the additional weight of what you have attached to it. My Sako 85 synthetic weighs in at 6lb 4 oz for the bare rifle, Which is lighter than my Weihrauch springer air rifle!

If you are after the lightest possible set up you could go with a decent scope of around a pound in weight and a lightweight mod ( say 7 to 10 oz) If you have a bipod attached, do you really need it?... I think you will shave more weight off by looking here than swopping your Sako 85 which is a proven quality rifle.

I often wonder why people buy a nice light weight stalking rifle and then screw an overly heavy mod on the end of it like the T8 reflex mod at 1lb 8 oz!

Regarding the Tikka T3 lite (which I also have) If you have a synthetic 85 with 20 inch barrel, then looking at the specs the T3 lite is of a comparible weight.

looking up the specifications, the weights for the rifles in 308 are as follows -

Sako 85. Synthetic. 2.8kg / 6lb 4 oz. (20 inch barrel)
    sako 85. Wood Classic 3.2kg. / 7lb 1 oz. (22.5inch barrel)

Tikka T3 lite synthetic. 2.8kg/ 6lb 4oz ( 20 inch barrel)

Steyr scout. 3.0 kg / 6lb 11 oz (19 inch barrel)

Ruger gunsite scout. 3.2 kg/7.1 lb ( 16.1 inch barrel)

Below are the weights of my stalking outfits

Sako 85 stainless synthetic in 243, (20 inch barrel) Zeiss duralyt 3 -12x50 IR scope, ASE SL5 mod and sling ... 8LB 15 oz

Tikka T3 lite in 270 (22.5 inch barrel), identical scope and identical (but powder coated mod) and similar weight sling comes in at 9LB 2.5 oz. The longer barrel of the Tikka and possibly the two piece optilocks instead of the one piece optilock Ringmounts accounts for the extra weight.

The mods being stainless steel weigh in at 14 oz so I could save nearly half a pound by going with an alloy mod if I really wanted to save some weight.

I hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpg  
    Last edited by paultap; 09-09-2016 at 17:04.

I went through a similar process of wanting to save weight and improve the ease of using my rifle in quite dense woods.
    My original Tikka T3 weighed 4.75kg all-up, including a bipod and T8 Moderator, and 8x56mm scope.
    I swapped the scope for a 3-9x40mm Leupold, swapped the T8 for a DPT moderator, and ditched the bipod (which I have only ever used on the range).
    The result? A whole kilogramme (2+lbs old money) saved and, with the smaller scope and lighter moderator, the balance of the rifle has been transformed.

Thanks for the replys, the Sako I have is a Hunter model, no bipod, Hardy mod, Swarovski 3-10x42 so not too much more weight I could shave off. Still over 9lbs on my scales though. I wasn't looking to trade in the Sako, just add the new rifle for certain applications. The Steyr is a fair bit more pricey and possibly looks a bit modern for me, the Ruger Scout with synthetic stock should weigh 6.2lb (plus small light scope), can get 3 and 5 round mags which would be less cumbersome than the 10 rounder it comes with. Will seek one out to handle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	74233
    Last edited by Sako308; 10-09-2016 at 06:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Sako308 View Post
    Thanks for the replys, the Sako I have is a Hunter model, no bipod, Hardy mod, Swarovski 3-10x42 so not too much more weight I could shave off. Still over 9lbs on my scales though. I wasn't looking to trade in the Sako, just add the new rifle for certain applications. The Steyr is a fair bit more pricey and possibly looks a bit modern for me, the Ruger Scout with synthetic stock should weigh 6.2lb (plus small light scope), can get 3 and 5 round mags which would be less cumbersome than the 10 rounder it comes with. Will seek one out to handle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	74233
    I went through this process a couple of years ago owing to some arthritic problems. I chose the same scope as you have and an A-Tech Maxim. I bought a second hand Sako 75 Finnlight from one of our SD members, which was in as-new condition. The Finnlight has a 20inch fluted barrel.
    Considering that you have already gone for a lightweight scope and moderator, there is not too much else upon which to save weight, other than the rifle. I mainly stalk in woodland so never use a bipod.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

Hi guys, I'm fairly new to stalking but have been shooting other forms for years. My goal starting was as light as possible without losing accuracy. But as far as my opinion goes I highly recommend the X bolt stalker, it's around 6.2lb striped also and the price makes it great value.
    I have a leupold and dpt on to also, and fantastic balance. another good idea is a sling like a Z aim which secures the gun to your back so lessons the felt weight. At the press of a button it comes off your shoulder like a normal sling.
    I have a bipod but never use it stalking, and the bipod I would use Are crazy prices so I go without.
    Sorry if slightly off topic but just giving a thumbs up for the Z aim and the X bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The second hand T3 Lite in .25-06 I found on Holt's, is just like carting an air rifle about.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!