Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Muntjac in Scotland

Muntjac in Scotland

A friend of mine the other day was talking to a commuter on the train that travels from Elgin to Inverness. This person has seen numerous muntjac when down South and was absolutely positive in the recognition of one not far from Forres.

We will need to wait and see.

There was a thread at the end of last year that seemed to establish that they are present in few areas as far north as the Great Glen but more concentrated on the borders and the Tay valley. Look at the bottom of the page and click on the Muntjac in Scotland thread.

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    I have nerver heard a Munty barking up this way, I would have thought with the amount of forest stalked up this way, there would have by now been some sort of notice to Munty activity if any existed.....

With the amount of Grouse/Pheasant shooting up this way also, I think if Munty were spotted there would be a mass of stalking activity to cull any that were seen.

I hope they do come up this way, would increase the chance of getting sensible priced stalking..... Well hopefully......

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

The Ifor Williams migration route must stop at the border I think ???

They'll be there soon enough. The cynic in me reckons that a few may have been / will be deliberately released. What effect do you think they'll have on the Scotish roe population?

A mate told me there was some near Peebles and i laughed at him - right up until he drove me over and pointed one out.

I used to stalk them when i lived in Essex so i knew what i was looking at.

I was going to start a new thread with a question about when anyone thinks they will become established up here in Scotland, which I'm sure they will.

However, I remembered this thread so will continue it.

These sightings must surely be released/escaped deer as they seem to have skipped round my ground without being seen! I stalk in the Peebles area and have never seen any, nor on ground I have near Lauder/Galashiels and on ground near Jedburgh. I read that some have been seen around Ponteland which is not that far as the crow flies from me.

When they have moved into new areas, does anyone have any idea how long it takes to become established? By that I am suggesting to the point where they are beyond eradication by hard shooting. Personally, I would love to see them on my ground but then again its not my plants/shrubs/crops they would be eating

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    When they have moved into new areas, does anyone have any idea how long it takes to become established? By that I am suggesting to the point where they are beyond eradication by hard shooting. Personally, I would love to see them on my ground but then again its not my plants/shrubs/crops they would be eating
    A common expression I have heard is, "Once you see them, there established".

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Quote Originally Posted by tartinjock View Post
    A common expression I have heard is, "Once you see them, there established".

TJ
    Excellent...

We had six in a wee zoo in eastkilbride they were given there freedom this was about 15 years ago .They have never been seen since so i dont think this area is suitable for them winters can be long cold and very wet with driving winds that last for weeks on end.