Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muzzle brake

Muzzle brake

Hi everybody. Does anyone know if the GoGun SuperComp XL muzzle brake is available in the UK or EU? I would love one in Titanium chambered for 223, (will then bore out). These apparently have the best recoil reduction and acceptable noise level for the shooter. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers, Chris.

Before this turns into a thread about the suitability of large calibers and the need the recoil reduction and about my caliber choice or if hunting is the right sport for me: I had an op removing muscle mass around my neck vertebrae no. 7, which has seriously weakend the most important area around the spine which is affected during recoil. I need to check how shooting affects me before going hunting again, (its been almost 18 months). I am also attaching a Pachmayr triple magnum pad (apparently the softest pads on the market and will consider a gracoil and a few other adaptations if it means I can go hunting again.

If there are any other experiences in regards to recoil reduction I would love to hear them.

Quote Originally Posted by chrislintz View Post
    Hi everybody. Does anyone know if the GoGun SuperComp XL muzzle brake is available in the UK or EU? I would love one in Titanium chambered for 223, (will then bore out). These apparently have the best recoil reduction and acceptable noise level for the shooter. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers, Chris.

If there are any other experiences in regards to recoil reduction I would love to hear them.
    says who?

unless its been back to back compared with others on a recoil sled it looks to have ports that are far to big to present effective recoil reduction
    (if noise is a factor then don't get one at all, no brake is quiet as it is directing more blast at the shooter)

compare them to these:

I designed one and had Simon Pinkney make it for me (google him)

3 port, 45 deg rear facing, radial crown, 8mm bore (on a 300wm)

remarkably effective compared to previous model (side port, larger bore, larger port size.....and a shed load cheaper than anything else in the UK or US!
    think it cost me 30

I've seen the clip before. The problem is that only a small no. of styles are being compared and the most successful one is the brake which angles the gases backward giving the rifle forward thrust. This is a promo for the brakes he designed and sells. Interesting enough but not for me as I am not keen on the increase in noise and having burning gases directed back at me, although the effectiveness is clear.

Your brake seems to be 3 chamber setup? Or is it just 3 ports opening on one chamber? I can't clearly see the 45 deg angle, but as I said above, this setup is very effective, but not for me.

I am looking for a 3 chamber setup preferably, thankks for your post.

Last edited by bewsher500; 09-09-2016 at 19:06.

gas has to be directed rearwards to counteract recoil with any force.

without a directional counter force all a brake does is disperse gas in numerous directions at exit.
    Its the reason pepper pot brakes with 90 degree holes do little compared to port brakes in respect of recoil (its the 2nd worst in the video at the top)

Shooting in the open with the brake above there is no perceived blast from the brake I use, to the shooter at least, and I personally wouldn't shoot the rifle either with a brake or without a brake unless I was wearing hearing protection of some form so noise is of little

I genuinely don't notice the difference between a bare barrel and a braked barrel for blast or noise
    I do for recoil though

Yes Bewsher, you are correct and I sort of tried saying that above. Venting the burning gases back creates a forward thrust which increases the brakes effectiveness. I googled the top 6 brakes in the test you posted, the top 3 are chambered brakes with vents angled backwards, however places 4,5 and 6 are chambered brakes angled out to the side, (as far as I could tell from the pictures). 63.75% - 64.4% reduction for the best 3 chambered brakes with vents angled backward, and 56.4% - 61.3% reduction for the best 3 chambered brakes vented sideways. I stopped at spot 6 as then other factors started to play into the equation, like chamber size, chamber no. etc.

I agree that pepper pot brakes are relatively ineffective and am therefore in the market for chambered brakes, (also my criticism on the clip you posted, while it is grafic, the choice of brakes are handselected to achieve a certain result). Multi chambered brakes as rule show the best results as they essentially "swipe" the bullet clean of the burning gases, (please excuse the laymans terms), and the chambers need to be spaced close enough to vent the gases out rather than let them develop their own dynamics. Ergo one criticism I have of chambered brakes with very large chambers; you might as well use a pepper pot brake.

When I am hunting I don't wear hearing protection, therefore I am prepared to sacrifice a few percent in recoil performance for a few percent less noise blast.

I found Simon Pinkney and looked at his site. Very nice, and very well priced. I sent him an email and hope that he will reply. If can make something out of titanium that would be ideal, in any regard I look forwward to his reply. Thanks for the reccomendation!

chrislintz do not on any account fire a braked rifle with out hearing protection you "WILL" damage your hearing

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    chrislintz do not on any account fire a braked rifle with out hearing protection you "WILL" damage your hearing

Ian.
    absolutely!
    I've got a brake on my 308 for target use, it certainly reduces recoil but is hideously noisy even wearing peltor ear defenders, I've started wearing plugs underneath them.
    for field use a good moderator would provide you with good recoil reduction without the muzzle blast of a brake.

Thanks for your post Whitebeard and Druid. A lot of manufacturers claim no real decibel increase, which I have difficulty in believing, especially if gases are vented backwards, (see my posts above). Do you have any comparison data, (even if only subjective). What kind of recoil reducers/ brakes do you use?

I have considered moderators, but I don't agree with Druid. A moderator does not reduce recoil, it reduces perceived recoil, ie: the total energy being released at the end of the muzzle and moderator remains the same. With a moderator the energy release is over a longer period (milliseconds) which changes the recoil from a "punch" to a "shove", and therefore less punishing. The "shove" is easier for your body to manage and push against and the recoil pad compresses far better with slower force and hence is also more effective. Basic physics negates the very many comments that moderators reduce recoil, these comments are based on perceived recoil.

I am still considering moderators, I have the bits in my workshop for a single chamber 30cm long 4cm diameter over barrel "moderator". this will increase barrel length by 5 cm and minimal weight being made of titanium. Not really a moderator, as it only has one chamber, but my thinking was to use it with a Pachmayr triple magnum pad and achieve the necessary recoil reduction in that way, (and as a secondary effect, reduce muzzle blast, but not to the same effect as a real moderator). I am using the 9.3x62 for driven hunts with low magnification and even this narrow tube impeded my view, ergo my interest in muzzle brakes.

Any comments or experiences anyone can share?

Chris,
    Basic physics also tell you that muzzle brakes cannot and do not increase noise levels thats agreed but its not the noise you should be concerned about, its the percussion effect or shock wave directed back towards you that does the damage.
    I have a Vais on my 257, my son touched one off while i was next to him without telling me, i as not wearing hearing protection, it was very unpleasant and took three days for the tinnitus to wear off.
    That was only one shot and only a 257 Roberts AI.
    Even if you manage to get past the effects of your first shot, repeated shots from your 9.3 will lead to permanent hearing damage.
    The felt reduction in recoil from moderators is mainly due to the addition of approx 500g of additional weight to the rifle package.

Ian.