Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The effects of deer eating OSR

The effects of deer eating OSR

I recently read an article about the effects that oil seed rape can have on deer if they eat it (cannot remember for the life of me now where the article was). The long and short of it was that deer can be greatly effected and it can caused blindness and potentially death, or along those lines. The article made reference to 'Rape' but never clarifies whether it was the leaf of the plant or indeed the seed. So I was wondering which of these two it was that caused the unpleasant after effects after being eaten by deer, does anyone know the answer?

Quote Originally Posted by colc08 View Post
    I recently read an article about the effects that oil seed rape can have on deer if they eat it (cannot remember for the life of me now where the article was).
    When I did my DSC-1 6 years ago, we were told this as part of the lectures.

Since then, I have seen Fallow deer on the farm where I shoot, eat substantial amounts of Oil Seed Rape, with no apparent ill effects whatsoever.

I would be grateful if anybody has any information if the effects of OSR vary between the different species of deer.

There are a couple of older threads on this topic;

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...ed%20blindness

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...p/t-32452.html

From what I have read I think this affects roe deer in particular, and as I recall the DSC guide cited it as a problem for roe but I too would be interested to know if this impacts other species.
    If you're shooting badly, you need a new gun. If you're shooting well then you deserve a new gun.

From memory, I believe it is only a certain type and not all OSRs

Young rape plants at this time of year don't seem to cause much of a problem. It is when they eat it when it is older it seems to cause problems.
    I seem to remember reading that it was GM rape that was the worst offender?
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Young rape plants at this time of year don't seem to cause much of a problem. It is when they eat it when it is older it seems to cause problems.
    I seem to remember reading that it was GM rape that was the worst offender?
    MS
    In the my area the farmers have only just drilled it, so until we get rain the there will be no young plants for a good while.
    If you are talking about self sown rape then those plants for them to graze on.

Tim.243
    Last edited by Tim.243; 10-09-2016 at 06:49.
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

,The osr was drilled a month ago with us,the stubble ploughed under the same day the barley was cut Its peeping through now.
    I put the camera up and l guarantee the little buggers will have been out for a midnight feast already.
    l had a four yo buck on Tuesday night off the inch high winter barley. They love fresh but I believe too much in the winter months can kill them, it certainly will if I see them eating it...

After reading the original post, I set about trying to find why the deer are blind, and there are surprisingly few decent references. The main toxicity for deer (and livestock) is from the chemical SMCO (S-methylcysteine sulfoxide) which metabolises to dimethyl suphoxide. This damages red cells and causes an anaemia. However brassicas are full of other toxins and the most likely explanation for blindness is sulphur compounds in the rumen that block thiamine (Vitamin B1). B1 is essential for glucose production and as nerves can only metabolise glucose (ie not fat) they suffer most and the animal is blind.

I'm curious if the animals seen are actually blind and not just extremely slow due to the anaemia.

GM status is irrelvant.
    Last edited by Buchan; 13-09-2016 at 18:31. Reason: making it more understandable

Quote Originally Posted by Buchan View Post
    After reading the OP, I set about trying to find why the deer are blind, and there are surprisingly few decent references. The SMCO in brassicas metabolises to dimethyl suphoxide and causes an anaemia which is the principle problem. However brassicas are full of other toxins and the most likely explanation for blindness is sulphur compounds in the rumen that block thiamine (B1). B1 is essential for glucose metabolism and as nerves can only metabolise glucose (ie not fat) they suffer most and the animal is blind. I'm curious if the animals seen are actually blind and not just extremely slow due to the anaemia.
    GM status is irrelvant.

Now I have to admit most of this went way over my head, so, if they stop eating it do they regain their sight ?

Quote Originally Posted by rodp View Post
    Now I have to admit most of this went way over my head, so, if they stop eating it do they regain their sight ?
    I gather not - it's a permanent and irreversible affect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you're shooting badly, you need a new gun. If you're shooting well then you deserve a new gun.