New boots needed

Chris J

Guys, I appreciate that this is a fairly frequently discussed topic amongst stalkers, but the reality is that there are new products coming along all the time and what might have been great last season has been superseded. Of course some gear may have been good then, good today and still will be for years.

I'm gutted that both my pairs of Demon boots have finally given out. My boot guru informs me that he cannot repair the actual sock inside the boot. It's not viable. Externally they are still good, but water is literally pouring in. So I need a new pair.

They have to be full leather. I've had enough battles with fabric boots to last me a lifetime. Old fashioned full shiny leather for me. I like rubber bumpers on them to reduce scuffs and they have to be high leg. Not thigh length, stop it. But mid calf at least. I'm headed to the Midland Game fair in a couple of weeks and if I can narrow the choice it might make life easier.

I think the best way you might be able to guide me is in telling about boots that perhaps you'd avoid. Comfort and fit is a personal thing, but if there are makes that are plainly pants (boots that are pants??) then I'd appreciate knowing. It's not really about budget. It's about quality and longevity really.

So, any horror stories? Or any obvious no-brainer market leaders.

Chris

crispi steg boots had mine 5years still look like new warm dry had a pair off mendel dover extream as well lasted 3years but burst at the back and tread pattern very slippery so reason I purchased the crispi steg boots no complants

Cheers Wraith, I saw a for sale ad on a pair of those in size 11 but it went back to 2014. I'll have a look for those. Warm and dry are pretty high up on my list of attributes. Or atriboots, should that be?

Squeaky boots, ahh yes. I have had some of those. OK ta. Another one on the short list then. My Demons lasted well over 10 years with one resole. One pair had a mouse nest in them that ate the inner lining. Still kept me dry for years. Then one day .......

Meindl Dovre extreme, 10 years of regular hard use, I wear their work boots also and have had the same pair for six years. Simply the best in my humble opinion.

Meindls are great I have a pair but a recent post on here got me thinking so I have a pair of lundhags on order as we speak not cheap but nor are the meindls might be worth a look depending on your budget regards Benji

Altberg Defenders. Wouldn't use anything else now for shooting. Used with Ledergris, they stay waterproof, are very comfy. Full leather, rubber rand, good grip and very comfy. Tried Meindls but build quality wasn't up to Altberg standards on the pair of Vakuums I had but can't speak for older pairs which may have been better. Meindls were definitely too narrow a fit for me too. So impressed with the Defenders that I bought some Altberg Tethras for hiking. They're superb too.

Hanwag. German boots, they spend their money on product development, not advertising. Game and country from Selkirk are where I got mine

If your boots are still good why not just get some seal shin sock until the boots are proper done in? You'll get a few pair of socks for the price of the boots.

Sorry Dickie, missed your post. My boots are letting so much water in that on my last trip I genuinely started to suffer trench foot. My feet turned white and the skin actually started to peel ...I really don't want to go there. They leak and they're scrap. End of story. The body of the boot is good, but the Goretex sock inside has given up. OK on a nice dry day they're still fine, but all I need to do is walk through a wet meadow and in minutes my feet are literally sloshing. Even with what you suggest, I'd be wearing wet suit-boots. No sorry it's not an option I'm afraid.

Been following this thread as I am in the market for a new pair of boots. I am pretty light on boots and currently have a pair of lace up Chameaux which I have had for 9 shoot seasons ( I average 55 days loading and always wear these boots) however towards the end of the season one boot's leather in front of the laces split.

I have been giving the Hanwag boots serious consideration - these:

http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/...ots---extra-room-for-extra-layers-27293-p.asp

Got to make my mind up soon as my first day will be 3rd October!!

If your boots are still good why not just get some seal shin sock until the boots are proper done in? You'll get a few pair of socks for the price of the boots.

Sorry Dickie, missed your post. My boots are letting so much water in that on my last trip I genuinely started to suffer trench foot. My feet turned white and the skin actually started to peel ...I really don't want to go there. They leak and they're scrap. End of story. The body of the boot is good, but the Goretex sock inside has given up. OK on a nice dry day they're still fine, but all I need to do is walk through a wet meadow and in minutes my feet are literally sloshing. Even with what you suggest, I'd be wearing wet suit-boots. No sorry it's not an option I'm afraid.

When my lovely comfortable Le Chameau Mouflon plusses started to leak after 7 years I got another beating season out of them with sealskin socks. Very comfortable, triple layer...outer layer gets wet, inner doesn't, feet don't notice. Doesn't sound like my boots were leaking quite as bad as yours though.

I have been wearing Meindl Dovre for the last two years and have also bought some of the Extreme Cold Weather Boots from military surplus. New grade 1 for £60. The ECWB seem to be of similar quality to the Meindl and Le Chameau, they are full grain leather, Goretex lined and have a Vibram sole. The only draw back is they have loops not hooks for the laces and take ages to do up...I am going to convert them to hooks with the angle grinder. Well worth considering at the price even if just for a back up/wet boot alternative.

Alan

p.s. Forgot to say that if you are buying on-line rather than in a shop...do not be fooled by the Meindl advert description which says they are wide fitting...I wear size 11 in all my workboots, but with the Dovre 11 they are a very firm fit I can not even wear lining socks, just one pair of walking socks. My next pair will be size 11.5.

Last edited:
Back