Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .308" Hornady 220gr RN

.308" Hornady 220gr RN

Anyone use these in 30-06 on UK deer?

I'm looking at the .338" 250gr for a 338-06 and Hornady said that it would be fine for red deer and would perform similarly to their .308" 220gr round nose from a 30-06.

An idea on what species you shot with it, shot placement and how effective it was would be great thank you
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

The Hornady 220's are a great bullet . I've used them on a few animals , Moose and Bear , and I couldn't ask for better performance . My late father switched to a 30/06 and 220's when he couldn't get 215 gr bullets for his 303 , he was old school . While they worked great on bigger animals , their performance on deer was a bit erratic . Dad never lost an animal that he shot with 220's , but some went further than expected . This was mostly due to under expansion as we found out when field dressing . He eventually switched to 180's ( Nosler Partition ) for everything and used them until the end of his days .
    I would expect the .338 250's would perform about the same , and IMHO might be a little heavy for general use in the UK . Just a suggestion , but a 225 Partition would make a great all rounder in your 338/06 . It shoots a bit flatter , retains energy better and will expand reliably on smaller deer without excessive tissue destruction . It will also be capable of taking Red Deer , Boar or any other larger game in the UK or Europe . Great caliber choice by the way , keep us posted on how you do with it .

AB

Thanks AB, I was thinking I wouldn't get a reply for a while there.

I did think that the 250's, like the 220's, may be a little tough for some of our UK species. I think I would probably be ok using them on red deer mind.
    The Sierra 225gr Pro Hunter is very appealing for UK species for the same reasons you list for the Nosler.

If I am totally honest the reason the 250gr (especially the round nose) appeals is because it would be similar to a 318 Westley Richard/ 333 Jeffery. It would basically replicate the 333 despite having practically the same capacity as the 318 simply due to modern powders and higher pressure.

Which species of deer did your father shoot with the 220gr? Just so I can compare it to a red deer which is what I have on my land.
    Maybe I should go 210-225gr for UK and have the 250gr for big reds and abroad but ideally I just want one load.
    Maybe use 250gr for everything and shoot through the shoulders on smaller deer to ensure expansion, wastes meat mind.

Thanks for the kind words on the 338-06. It seems like it will do everything I could ever need without the recoil of the magnums.

I like round nosed bullets
    i actually had some interlock rn in 100gr 243 which worked very well. Same poi as the Spitzer version of the same bullet
    the closest I have had to the question in 308 was some Norma 200gr I inherited and used in the 300win mag

Big old red stags crumple just as expected
    only doing about 2850fps out of my short barrel but they performed

I like round nose bullets too . They've gone out of fashion with a lot of hunters , but they still have their place in the field .
    My dad shot quite a few White-tails , Mule Deer and Moose with the 220's . On Mulie bucks , 250 pounds and up , they worked well . The occasions where he had problems were on smaller White-Tails , about 150 pounds and under . They really worked well on Moose and a couple of Bears the old man shot as well , lots of expansion and they always penetrated straight . I think Dad liked them because , with their lower velocity , they didn't have as much bruising around the bullet track .
    I still have a couple of hundred of Dads supply in the gun room , and still use them in one of my 30/06's . It's an old Remington 760 "Jerkomatic " pump , that has a 1.5X4 power scope on it . It won't impress your friends , but it's the perfect rig for Moose , Elk and Bear in black timber . It points great , reloads almost as fast as a semi auto , and with the heavier bullets , put big animals down quickly . What more could you want ?
    To be honest Jim , I'd stick with the 225's . They will do anything you need without having to re-zero different bullet weights . I'm in the process of building a 358 Win on a savage bolt action with help from conquest1 . I'll be loading it with 225 Nosler Partitions or Accubonds . Like your 338/06 , it's a well balanced cartridge . Low recoil compared to the larger cased rounds , but ample power for any game we have . I'm sure your 338/06 will become a favorite of yours .

I'm not saying don't use the 250's , just be a bit selective on what you use them on . It will definitely anchor a big red with no trouble .

AB
    Last edited by alberta boy; 11-09-2016 at 03:52.

In the .30-06, the 180-gr RN is a great bullet. It has the save trajectory as the boattail out to 200 yards, is very easy to work up accurate loads, and not too loopy for 300 yard shots. Try the Remington 180-gr RN Core Lokt ammo. It will open up, yet stay together and penetrate deep ( as in lengthwise through a large bear ). If you handload, Hornady, Sierra and Speer are all good.

Quote Originally Posted by alberta boy View Post
    I'm sure your 338/06 will become a favorite of yours .

I'm not saying don't use the 250's , just be a bit selective on what you use them on . It will definitely anchor a big red with no trouble .

AB
    I sure hope so as it will become my only large game rifle for here and abroad. I don't think I'll be disappointed.

I have emailed Nosler about the 250gr partition asking whether they would view it as suitable for red deer (gave them approximate weights as well so they have an idea) and also asked whether they would recommend anything else for the wide game range I am after I.E. red deer to eland (and brown bear if funds allow)
    We shall see what they say. The partitions do expand down to pretty low velocity as the front core isn't bonded and is relatively soft but I dot know how thick the jacket is on the 250gr.

As a rule , Nosler recommends an impact velocity of 1900 fps for reliable expansion with the Partition . After using them for over 30 years , I've found they expand at lower speeds . If you combine a heavy bullet with lower velocity though , you might run into a lack of expansion . I've shot a few Moose with .358 250 gr Partitions ( about 2450 fps Muzzle Velocity ) One in particular comes to mind . He was quartering away from me at about 70 yards , I hit him just above the heart and the bullet broke the offside upper leg ( up hill shot ) and exited . I actually managed to dig the bullet out of the hillside afterwards , I believe it weighed about 180 grs . The exit wound was about an inch across so the bullet was still pretty much intact when it exited . To me , that isn't optimum . I switched to 225's after that , and to be honest , they have worked reliably on everything . They will still go through a Moose or Elk at any sane distance , your mileage may vary , but will expand on deer without excessive meat destruction . They're also easier on my old bones than the 250's , when you start pushing 250's , they get a bit thumpy . Newtons law and all that lol .
    For what you'll be doing , the Sierra 225 should be just the thing , and for a lot less in price , just a thought .

AB

I have used Speer 110gn round nose in 30cal (.308)
    to great effect. Meat damage very limited and beast always seems to drop on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by alberta boy View Post
    As a rule , Nosler recommends an impact velocity of 1900 fps for reliable expansion with the Partition . After using them for over 30 years , I've found they expand at lower speeds . If you combine a heavy bullet with lower velocity though , you might run into a lack of expansion . I've shot a few Moose with .358 250 gr Partitions ( about 2450 fps Muzzle Velocity ) One in particular comes to mind . He was quartering away from me at about 70 yards , I hit him just above the heart and the bullet broke the offside upper leg ( up hill shot ) and exited . I actually managed to dig the bullet out of the hillside afterwards , I believe it weighed about 180 grs . The exit wound was about an inch across so the bullet was still pretty much intact when it exited . To me , that isn't optimum . I switched to 225's after that , and to be honest , they have worked reliably on everything . They will still go through a Moose or Elk at any sane distance , your mileage may vary , but will expand on deer without excessive meat destruction . They're also easier on my old bones than the 250's , when you start pushing 250's , they get a bit thumpy . Newtons law and all that lol .
    For what you'll be doing , the Sierra 225 should be just the thing , and for a lot less in price , just a thought .

AB

I know you're right AB. The Hornady or Sierra 225's would be perfect for the majority of what I want to shoot, here and abroad. I need to leave the 250's alone tricky mind!