Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: blunted my knife

blunted my knife

I thought I had picked up a bargain yesterday at the Basc gamefair in north Wales... a Jack pike pull through knife sharpener for 2.50. Tried it when I got home and it's absolutely useless, it actually took the edge off my Wenger so I won't be using it on the Mora allrounder that I picked up for a tenner from the BDS stand. It's going in the bin

Can anyone recommend a good sharpener?
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

I prefer diamond laps, mine are all around 4 x1 inch, although I have a fine 5 inch long round tapered one which I use like a normal steel for quick touch ups.

Neil.

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    I use the Lanski, and it works fine for me, easy and convienent, relatively cheap also.

I did have a pull through sharpener which sounds similar to what you bought. I couldn't use it as the ridge that you were meant to hold it with was not large enough and it was difficult to hold when pulling a knife through it.

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

If you are really interested in maintaining knives for stalking use, you would get the proper set edge/s from a kit from Lansky, on the other hand if you are using your knives more than your rifles,you should go the professional electric way!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I use the "blade tech" its a pull through but it really works very well small and easily carried ideal for field use its perfect, though kits like the lansky probably will do a better job the little blade tech works well enough for me
    Last edited by dlz90; 27-06-2010 at 09:58.

Blunt knifes

Si i have been using the GATCO PRO bought from bushwear about three years ago and i cant fault it.
    I sharpened four knifes this morning with a 19% edge on them and they are like razors.

ATB
    RICK O SHEA

I have a Lansky that I use at home, and I take a Gerber diamond pocket sized pull through for touching up in the field. I must admit i do not have much use for it now as both knives i use regularly now retain an edge beautifully. Better steel!

I know a chap who makes knives for fun, and some commisions, and he uses a "Chefs Pro 110" and his knives are sticky sharp. I have used the blade tech and it works a treat on carbon steel, but took the edge off my Frost and Gerber stainless knives so i stopped using it. I believe they have a new improved version these days, so it might be better now. I would not risk a blade tech on my Bill Moran (Spyderco) or my Morakniv 2000
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

I looked at the bladetech one's, they were 9 with a lanyard... ah well, you live and learn
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Hi all,
    excuse my ignorance, but do these new fangled devices get an edge any better than a good old fashioned oilstone? I've never used anything but, and never felt my blades dull. Perhaps it does require a lot of practice and I guess a bit of skill thrown in, as well as the need for a cheap blade to learn on (God bless Opinel). I can't get excited about entering a "my knife is sharper than your's" debate, but would be interested to hear from a convert from the old oilstone to the new diamond bars.

All the best,

Mark.

The gatco looks like a good idea but I'm after something that will fit in my pocket... for touching up.
    And something that won't scratch the blade, I hate scratched blades!!!