blunted my knife

Si

I thought I had picked up a bargain yesterday at the Basc gamefair in north Wales... a Jack pike pull through knife sharpener for £2.50. Tried it when I got home and it's absolutely useless, it actually took the edge off my Wenger so I won't be using it on the Mora allrounder that I picked up for a tenner from the BDS stand. It's going in the bin :mad:

Can anyone recommend a good sharpener?

I prefer diamond laps, mine are all around 4 x1 inch, although I have a fine 5 inch long round tapered one which I use like a normal steel for quick touch ups.

Neil.

I use the Lanski, and it works fine for me, easy and convienent, relatively cheap also.

I did have a pull through sharpener which sounds similar to what you bought. I couldn't use it as the ridge that you were meant to hold it with was not large enough and it was difficult to hold when pulling a knife through it.

TJ

If you are really interested in maintaining knives for stalking use, you would get the proper set edge/s from a kit from Lansky, on the other hand if you are using your knives more than your rifles,you should go the professional electric way!:)

I use the "blade tech" its a pull through but it really works very well small and easily carried ideal for field use its perfect, though kits like the lansky probably will do a better job the little blade tech works well enough for me :thumb:

Last edited:
Blunt knifes

Si i have been using the GATCO PRO bought from bushwear about three years ago and i cant fault it.
I sharpened four knifes this morning with a 19% edge on them and they are like razors.

002-19-1.jpg

001-19-1.jpg

ATB
RICK O SHEA

I have a Lansky that I use at home, and I take a Gerber diamond pocket sized pull through for touching up in the field. I must admit i do not have much use for it now as both knives i use regularly now retain an edge beautifully. Better steel!

I know a chap who makes knives for fun, and some commisions, and he uses a "Chefs Pro 110" and his knives are sticky sharp. I have used the blade tech and it works a treat on carbon steel, but took the edge off my Frost and Gerber stainless knives so i stopped using it. I believe they have a new improved version these days, so it might be better now. I would not risk a blade tech on my Bill Moran (Spyderco) or my Morakniv 2000

I looked at the bladetech one's, they were £9 with a lanyard... ah well, you live and learn :rolleyes:

Hi all,
excuse my ignorance, but do these new fangled devices get an edge any better than a good old fashioned oilstone? I've never used anything but, and never felt my blades dull. Perhaps it does require a lot of practice and I guess a bit of skill thrown in, as well as the need for a cheap blade to learn on (God bless Opinel). I can't get excited about entering a "my knife is sharper than your's" debate, but would be interested to hear from a convert from the old oilstone to the new diamond bars.

All the best,

Mark.

The gatco looks like a good idea but I'm after something that will fit in my pocket... for touching up.
And something that won't scratch the blade, I hate scratched blades!!!

Just for the pocket, I take a flat, diamond one side & ceramic plate on the other, slips in a pocket or a belt pouch, measures around an inch & three quarters by three & a half.

Blunt knifes

For use in the field i am with dlz90 and use a blade teck which lives on my belt.
This one is the so called new version with the new super hard carbide blades but as i never had the old model i couldnt tell you if it is any better.

003-16-1.jpg

A friend of mine has the flat diamond sharpener as mentioned and gets excelent results but shop around as they really do vary in both price and quality.

Cheers
RICK O SHEA

The gatco looks like a good idea but I'm after something that will fit in my pocket... for touching up.
And something that won't scratch the blade, I hate scratched blades!!!

GATCO does it for me, will happily do 2 or 3 beasts (a busy day) without even needing touching up. Blade then gets done in the evening as long as i remember, now that is a different matter! The knife could probably do many more but I like to keep it in good nick:rofl:

I use the lansky system with diffrent stones. Good but takes some time. On cheaper knives like Opinel and kitchen knives, I use a file ( I hope I use the correct word). A flat metal file which is not to coarse. About 20 mm/ 5 mm and about 8 inches long. I use the narrow 5 mm side of the file. A few strokes on both sides and you have a sharp edge. Quick and cheap. Perfect to have in the car, to quickly sharpen up a bit during gralloching,......
My friend uses the " Folding diamond sharpening rod " as seen on Lansky's website.
His is by eze-lap , but the same principle. Easy to put in the pocket and very effective.
Both togheter , file + folder, probably make a cheap and easy to use effective sharpening system.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a traditional oilstone or even a waterstone. I'll never use a blade-tech or any other such device as they usually gouge at the blade rather than sharpen.

I use a waterstone at home and carry a small diamond stone in my kit, just in case. A good quality stone will always give a better result but unfortunately many consider its use a dark art. People are forever amazed when i show how easy it is to use and how much sharper the result. I also sharpen my own straight razor on my waterstone.

I feel better now, I was wondering what I was missing. I've watched old chippy's (carpenters) get an edge on a chisel that would shave hairs off your arm. It made me ask myself, how much shaper do you need?Glad I'm not the only one persevering with the old ways. Thanks Scotsgun! :D
There's absolutely nothing wrong with a traditional oilstone or even a waterstone. I'll never use a blade-tech or any other such device as they usually gouge at the blade rather than sharpen.

I use a waterstone at home and carry a small diamond stone in my kit, just in case. A good quality stone will always give a better result but unfortunately many consider its use a dark art. People are forever amazed when i show how easy it is to use and how much sharper the result. I also sharpen my own straight razor on my waterstone.

Back