Thread: Frustrating evening on the foxes

Frustrating evening on the foxes

Posted Today, 09:03 AM
    All started Thursday evening, last two blocks of wheat was being combined so bound to be some foxes in it. I was still at work when first block was being done but managed to get up there ready for the last block. I arrived to see they had only just started so had a quick drive round to check feeders and walk birds in. Get the 3 pens done then get a call, where are you one just ran out! Oh bugger I'm on my way, sit for three hours nothing until very last strip and a cub runs out bang it's down. That's 12 been had whilst combining so not bad going. So plan was to get back out Friday night and get the one which was missed.

Get to the shoot at 10:00 lovely cloudy night with a light breeze. First one I saw was about 150 yards away. I squeaked it into about 50 yards, got the rifle onto it, it walked to the hedge and stopped, would have been a perfect shot but couldn't take it as there is a house other side of the hedge! One two houses back into the the shoot and this bugger has to stand next to one! Drive on 500 yards spot another sitting next to a strip of game cover, get the rifle up to it and just as I do so little sod turns and strolls into the cover 😡 a bloody annoying evening! Spotted two barn owls and about 7 roe which was nice to see though...

Quote Originally Posted by Jarvis View Post
    Posted Today, 09:03 AM
    All started Thursday evening, last two blocks of wheat was being combined so bound to be some foxes in it. I was still at work when first block was being done but managed to get up there ready for the last block. I arrived to see they had only just started so had a quick drive round to check feeders and walk birds in. Get the 3 pens done then get a call, where are you one just ran out! Oh bugger I'm on my way, sit for three hours nothing until very last strip and a cub runs out bang it's down. That's 12 been had whilst combining so not bad going. So plan was to get back out Friday night and get the one which was missed.

Get to the shoot at 10:00 lovely cloudy night with a light breeze. First one I saw was about 150 yards away. I squeaked it into about 50 yards, got the rifle onto it, it walked to the hedge and stopped, would have been a perfect shot but couldn't take it as there is a house other side of the hedge! One two houses back into the the shoot and this bugger has to stand next to one! Drive on 500 yards spot another sitting next to a strip of game cover, get the rifle up to it and just as I do so little sod turns and strolls into the cover  a bloody annoying evening! Spotted two barn owls and about 7 roe which was nice to see though...

It is the thing that drives us out again, for my money and the shot was ok I would have taken it on at 150. Easy to say but you only have to kill them once.

Last night I left a fox as the owner has a guy started on the foxes and left the Muntjac to me. He only drives with his roof lamp and is rapidity running out of tracks to drive on. So I did what I was asked to do and will wait for the call.

You will catch up with it soon.....

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

That's the joy of foxing!

Everyone has evenings like that, but then other times it makes up for it, cheers