Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Using different primer to the recipe?

  1. #1

    Using different primer to the recipe?

    If the load data states Rem. 9.5m primers and I elect to use a different manufacturer what should I do with regards to safely developing a load? Presumably if I take said data and start low and build up is that all I need to do? Or is there sufficient difference in primers to make such a remarkable difference in load pressures etc?
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

  2. #2
    Always start at the bottom and work up. I have never found a big difference in primers. I use CCI and there bench rest does produce better groups but only marginal and in a hunting load not worth the price. As long as the new primer is not a magnum primer you will be fine.

  3. #3
    Federal primers I find to be hotter than other's,
    I personally start half way on data from reloading books as it's a waste of powder ( to me any way ) to start at the bottom load,
    Unless you want a slow load for woodland stalking 125 yards or less for Roe/munties etc.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by big ears View Post
    Always start at the bottom and work up. I have never found a big difference in primers. I use CCI and there bench rest does produce better groups but only marginal and in a hunting load not worth the price. As long as the new primer is not a magnum primer you will be fine.
    It is a magnum primer, it's a recipe for .375h&h im looking at, but I've not seen the Remington primers locally so may well be a case of get what I can...
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

  5. #5
    What powder are you using?
    The Remington 9 1/2 or Win LR will light up most powders well if it is a full measure of powder, as they are almost as hot as the Federal 215 or CCI-250.

    RL-15 is a great powder for the .375 H&H with 250, 260 and 270 gr bullets.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    What powder are you using?
    The Remington 9 1/2 or Win LR will light up most powders well if it is a full measure of powder, as they are almost as hot as the Federal 215 or CCI-250.

    RL-15 is a great powder for the .375 H&H with 250, 260 and 270 gr bullets.

    I haven't started yet for the .375, but found the recipe on noslers website, RL15 if I can get it would be my choice loading 260 gr accubonds
    http://load-data.nosler.com/load-dat...olland-magnum/
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

  7. #7
    I know Varget is impossible to get in the UK, and W-760 / H-414 also seem to be - all great powders for the .375 H&H. So is 4350. All my .375s have liked H-4350 with 270-gr bullets, again, using LR primers. One reason for me is the hot climate in which I live and shoot, and the same for a place like Africa.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    I know Varget is impossible to get in the UK, and W-760 / H-414 also seem to be - all great powders for the .375 H&H. So is 4350. All my .375s have liked H-4350 with 270-gr bullets, again, using LR primers. One reason for me is the hot climate in which I live and shoot, and the same for a place like Africa.
    I spoke to my RFD and he had a delivery of alliant today and thinks there was RL15 in the order so looks like I'll go with that if he has it.....
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

  9. #9
    Spotted a tub of varget in barrow last week!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Druid View Post
    Spotted a tub of varget in barrow last week!
    For lock and load....?
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Similar Threads

  1. *SOLD* Hornady Primer Pocket Reamer and Primer Cleaner
    By Garybeechener in forum Reloading
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-03-2016, 06:59
  2. V Max 87 Gr recipe.
    By Norrie1956 in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 20-07-2015, 22:32
  3. Burger Recipe
    By Roebuck270 in forum Carcass Prep, Butchery & Recipes
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 14-02-2013, 19:26
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-06-2012, 14:17
  5. Recipe please
    By 6.5/284matt in forum Carcass Prep, Butchery & Recipes
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 15-05-2012, 11:14

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •