Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using different primer to the recipe?

Using different primer to the recipe?

If the load data states Rem. 9.5m primers and I elect to use a different manufacturer what should I do with regards to safely developing a load? Presumably if I take said data and start low and build up is that all I need to do? Or is there sufficient difference in primers to make such a remarkable difference in load pressures etc?
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Always start at the bottom and work up. I have never found a big difference in primers. I use CCI and there bench rest does produce better groups but only marginal and in a hunting load not worth the price. As long as the new primer is not a magnum primer you will be fine.

Federal primers I find to be hotter than other's,
    I personally start half way on data from reloading books as it's a waste of powder ( to me any way ) to start at the bottom load,
    Unless you want a slow load for woodland stalking 125 yards or less for Roe/munties etc.

Quote Originally Posted by big ears View Post
    Always start at the bottom and work up. I have never found a big difference in primers. I use CCI and there bench rest does produce better groups but only marginal and in a hunting load not worth the price. As long as the new primer is not a magnum primer you will be fine.
    It is a magnum primer, it's a recipe for .375h&h im looking at, but I've not seen the Remington primers locally so may well be a case of get what I can...

What powder are you using?
    The Remington 9 1/2 or Win LR will light up most powders well if it is a full measure of powder, as they are almost as hot as the Federal 215 or CCI-250.

RL-15 is a great powder for the .375 H&H with 250, 260 and 270 gr bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    What powder are you using?
    The Remington 9 1/2 or Win LR will light up most powders well if it is a full measure of powder, as they are almost as hot as the Federal 215 or CCI-250.

RL-15 is a great powder for the .375 H&H with 250, 260 and 270 gr bullets.

I haven't started yet for the .375, but found the recipe on noslers website, RL15 if I can get it would be my choice loading 260 gr accubonds
    http://load-data.nosler.com/load-dat...olland-magnum/

I know Varget is impossible to get in the UK, and W-760 / H-414 also seem to be - all great powders for the .375 H&H. So is 4350. All my .375s have liked H-4350 with 270-gr bullets, again, using LR primers. One reason for me is the hot climate in which I live and shoot, and the same for a place like Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    I know Varget is impossible to get in the UK, and W-760 / H-414 also seem to be - all great powders for the .375 H&H. So is 4350. All my .375s have liked H-4350 with 270-gr bullets, again, using LR primers. One reason for me is the hot climate in which I live and shoot, and the same for a place like Africa.
    I spoke to my RFD and he had a delivery of alliant today and thinks there was RL15 in the order so looks like I'll go with that if he has it.....

Spotted a tub of varget in barrow last week!

Quote Originally Posted by Druid View Post
    Spotted a tub of varget in barrow last week!
    For lock and load....?