Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whatever you do.....dont look down the bore!

Whatever you do.....dont look down the bore!

Had a somewhat sobering experience the other day......Had a look down a borescope at my lovingly cleaned and carefully fired .243 barrel

Its a Blaser match...fired 1200 from new....mostly home loads, RL19, H380, RL22, Superformance...nothing too "hot"......shoots sub moa with 85 grain Gamekings.

What I saw made my blood run cold.....fire cracking, throat erosion, non existent lands, copper fouling, carbon streaks.......scary! The .243 has always been labelled as "Over bored" but never a throat burner in the same way as a 6.5-.284 but something is sure munching away at the ironwork!

Does it affect how it shoots? Well, so far ....no! But if I was shown the mess the 1st couple of centimetres are in if I was buying it,,,,I'd be running for the door!!

Sometimes its just better not to know!

Also looked down my .22-250....bad but not as bad as the .243 and a 6.5 x55.....hardly a blemish.

So...whatever you do....Do...Not...Look...Down the bore!!!

Not surprised, 1000+ rounds matched with cheap barrel steel

There are two types of shooters - the fulfilled and successful ones - with a 7 X 57 and those poor souls who have not yet decided to get one!

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    Ooooh
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

Try a .264 win mag look up?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Now there's a kick in the nuts
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

But on the plus side its now a bit lighter ie rust falling off it,and its got character,
    DONT START

considering Blaser use the same cheap barrel steel for a multitude of bigger , faster and more powerful calibres quite successfully they can't be that bad

I'd stick my neck out and say that I bet any manufacturers barrel whether classed as high end or custom etc would probably show close to the same type of wear at the same round count

Everything dies. Including rifles. Shoot it til it doesn't do what you want then change it.

I can't bear the not using something, as you may wear it out, school of thought. That's probably why my car has 150k on the clock and I still use it daily

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsettaff View Post
    Had a somewhat sobering experience the other day......Had a look down a borescope at my lovingly cleaned and carefully fired .243 barrel

Its a Blaser match...fired 1200 from new....mostly home loads, RL19, H380, RL22, Superformance...nothing too "hot"......shoots sub moa with 85 grain Gamekings.

What I saw made my blood run cold.....fire cracking, throat erosion, non existent lands, copper fouling, carbon streaks.......scary! The .243 has always been labelled as "Over bored" but never a throat burner in the same way as a 6.5-.284 but something is sure munching away at the ironwork!

Does it affect how it shoots? Well, so far ....no! But if I was shown the mess the 1st couple of centimetres are in if I was buying it,,,,I'd be running for the door!!

Sometimes its just better not to know!

Also looked down my .22-250....bad but not as bad as the .243 and a 6.5 x55.....hardly a blemish.

So...whatever you do....Do...Not...Look...Down the bore!!!
    Now imagine you would have a Sauer 101 or Mauser M12, complete rifle soon to go in the bin....

edi

The switch barrel is the only thing going for a BLA BLA imo ? You can swap out the barrel without anyone noticing its shot out at 1200 rounds ???