Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Penned deer escapies

Penned deer escapies

A farmer friend has a ten reds and two escaped and have been out for 3months, my question is can I shoot these out of season as farmed beast or do they classify as wild beast and must be dealt with within the normal season. Two hinds, one now with calf

I was just about to ask a similar question. A friend in perthshire has about 20 escapees running around, I am heading up to try for a stag in 3weeks but hinds will be out.

If they are farmed/tagged animal,they arent restricted to the seasons as per wild deer.

The Forestry Commission have helped to defined this:-
    "deer that have escaped from captivity and are not visibly marked are considered feral wild deer"

If they are visibly tagged is there then ownership issues with the vension or live deer?

Assuming there on someone elses land

Quote Originally Posted by countrryboy View Post
    If they are visibly tagged is there then ownership issues with the vension or live deer?

Assuming there on someone elses land
    If they are visibly tagged they are treated exactly the same as any other escaped livestock e.g. sheep or cattle, and even whilst they are on your land remain the property of their owner, in brief:-

You may detain the animal and if it is not claimed within 14 days you may sell it at public auction , the owner being liable for any damages caused

You may not kill the animal (criminal damage) without the permission of its owner

You may not keep the carcase (theft) again without the permission of its owner

I believe they are now wild and that the normal seasons apply. How did he TB test them?

Quote Originally Posted by howa243 View Post
    I believe they are now wild and that the normal seasons apply. How did he TB test them?
    Slightly off topic but regarding tb tests, I was speaking to a farmer and haulier about cattle to tests on Saturday...if they're subject to the same sanctions as cattle then they only need tb test of you're going to move them i.e sell them either through an auction or direct to another farm. If they're going direct to slaughter you don't need to test them before they go - I buy a deer from you, you test it, that test is valid for 60days, I then keep it for 12 months and take it straight to the abbatoir and no need for a test. You'd only need to test a straight to slaughter animal if the previous owner got a reactor and then for traceability the ministry contact you and ask you to test animal X.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben1987 View Post
    Slightly off topic but regarding tb tests, I was speaking to a farmer and haulier about cattle to tests on Saturday...if they're subject to the same sanctions as cattle then they only need tb test of you're going to move them i.e sell them either through an auction or direct to another farm. If they're going direct to slaughter you don't need to test them before they go - I buy a deer from you, you test it, that test is valid for 60days, I then keep it for 12 months and take it straight to the abbatoir and no need for a test. You'd only need to test a straight to slaughter animal if the previous owner got a reactor and then for traceability the ministry contact you and ask you to test animal X.
    I was just trying to get a feel for whether they were 'farmed' or not. If they are farmed then seasons don't apply but I believe they would have to be slaughtered at an approved establishment. If they are not then the normal seasons apply irrespective of whether they are within a fence or not. I think.

If they are tagged....what is to say they have not been injected with something not suitable for the food chain? Or are all "injections" safe now? Thanks for any reply.