Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legalities of using an LBR for stalking?

Legalities of using an LBR for stalking?

Daft question perhaps, but looking at some of UK spec long barrelled revolvers on YouTube, I started wondering what the legal position would be if someone wanted to use one (say a .44 magnum) for stalking?

Given the long barrel and counterweight/wristbrace thingy, they can't be much smaller than some carbines. Are they in the same legal category as a repeating carbine? Or are they in a class of their own?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

T_T

I suspect that muzzle velocity and energy would be the main problem for deer. But I gather it is completely illegal because if anyone asked for such a condition on their licence the police wouldn't allow it so it's illegal now.

A quick check with Quickload seems to suggest it might be possible but initial computations suggest that you might end up wearing bits of revolver in your face. OTOH, a long barrelled pistol (.22) could possibly be used for vermin, but again, because the police would refuse it, it is currently illegal. Apparently.

Are long barreled pistols called such on an FAC?I thought they were just semi auto rifle or bolt action rifle etc???

Quote Originally Posted by 2130martin View Post
    Are long barreled pistols called such on an FAC?I thought they were just semi auto rifle or bolt action rifle etc???
    The police in their angst have created the two terms 'long barrelled pistol' and 'long barrelled revolver' that do not exist in the Firearms Act in order to put conditions on their use by way of the FAC. While both are nothing more than S.1 firearms, they put conditions on, such as other club members cannot shoot your LBR or LBP even though they may shoot your rifles. While a couple of clubs have managed to put one on their club FAC, the general response to such a request generally involved foaming at the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootist View Post
    The police in their angst have created the two terms 'long barrelled pistol' and 'long barrelled revolver' that do not exist in the Firearms Act in order to put conditions on their use by way of the FAC. While both are nothing more than S.1 firearms, they put conditions on, such as other club members cannot shoot your LBR or LBP even though they may shoot your rifles. While a couple of clubs have managed to put one on their club FAC, the general response to such a request generally involved foaming at the mouth.
    The 1997 FAA changed the wording in the primary legislation to borrowing "rifles and ammunition" held on a HO approved Club FAC or borrowing from another member whilst engaged in target shooting as a member of that club. Specifically the club only exists and has its HO approval for rifles & muzzle loading pistols, so LBRs, LBPs & s1 shotguns cannot be authorised to be held on the Club FAC. A club member wishing to hold their own LBR etc on their own FAC will have to show that a club they intend to use them at shoots those disciplines. If you know of a club that does hold them on the club FAC they are fortunate. The NRA submission to the Law Commission review on reform of the Firearms Act asks this to be specifically reviewed as it serves no useful purpose and prohibits members in participating in an ever growing, popular discipline of target shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootist View Post
    I suspect that muzzle velocity and energy would be the main problem for deer. But I gather it is completely illegal because if anyone asked for such a condition on their licence the police wouldn't allow it so it's illegal now.

A quick check with Quickload seems to suggest it might be possible but initial computations suggest that you might end up wearing bits of revolver in your face. OTOH, a long barrelled pistol (.22) could possibly be used for vermin, but again, because the police would refuse it, it is currently illegal. Apparently.
    With regard to your last sentence alone, this is not actually 'illegal'. Vermin and (.22) are undefined, but Lincs have licenced a .223 LBP SS for fox. I know the chap who has it, and have tried it out on our HOAC range.

It is not a practical weapon even with an extended eye-relief 'scope on top. It needs a fixed rest, and makes my neck ache.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

I inquired about this to my FLO. Came back, after much research, as a no due to the deer act. I can't remember the exact justification but I vaguely remember it being roughly "the deer act specifies rifle".
    Sorry for how little that helps but hopefully it'll give you a way forward to look at.
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

The deer act does not specify rifle, only minimum energy/caliber/speed (Scotland)

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

As I said I can't remember exactly but the deer act was mentioned I think
    Any Questions Feel Free to PM me

Quote Originally Posted by The tramp View Post
    The deer act does not specify rifle, only minimum energy/caliber/speed (Scotland)

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    I believe you are probably correct Tramp. Being at a bit of a loose end for half an hour I just had a quick squint at the 63 and 91 Acts and I can see a list of what you can't use but I don't see it specified that you must use a rifle.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.