Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Powder storage?

Powder storage?

My renewal is due shortly, does anyone clearly know if reloading nitro powder needs storage in wooden box? Or does only apply to black powder. Atb blue.

only black powder...and even then its not a law AFAIK
    non commercial acquire and keep below 15kg doesn't legally require any special treatment

My feo told me my powder if i had more than a kg was to be in a wooden box,i just said ok but it will be going in my spare cabinet and it wasn,t black powder he clammed up,but i didnt think he was right at the time because every picture ive seen of someone reloading there is powder everywhere,
    DONT START

It is apparently due to new health and safety guideline I think,

i was was told the same about wooden box storage, and was also told that ignorance of new rules was no defence!!!!

i haven't managed to find any concrete evidence of the actual lawfulness of any of what I have been told. ��

My powder's stored on top of a wardrobe, in the original tubs, and well away from any heat sources. Primers are kept in the ammo safe. I don't know of any changes to the requirements, but it seems daft to me to enclose a tub of flammable powder inside a sealed box
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

You can store up to 10 kg (Net Explosive Mass) of nitro propellant without the requirement for a licence and transport up to 15 kg. You can hold up to 15 kg NEM of small arms ammunition and primers. Logic would dictate that when holding both the NEM would be combined and the lowest limit applies, however, under aggregation, if the SAA is HD 1.4S its NEM is not taken into account for the calculation of licensing......................................... bored yet .

Danger, lesson on how to such eggs to follow:

The Germans insist that all powder whether it's nitro or black has to be stored in a wooden box. This is to prevent people storing them in metal containers and causing what is called the confinement of explosives; the process of increasing the pressure inside a container and thus increasing the burning or detonation rate of the explosive. The result is a much more violent release of gasses. It's the principle used in pipe bombs and to open safes.

As good practice, I would not recommend storing any powder, not even Vectan (which they package as HD 1.4S), in a metal container. It would be better just sat on a shelf.
    The number of posts, like rank is not a measure of intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by flying felix View Post
    You can store up to 10 kg (Net Explosive Mass) of nitro propellant without the requirement for a licence and transport up to 15 kg. You can hold up to 15 kg NEM of small arms ammunition and primers. Logic would dictate that when holding both the NEM would be combined and the lowest limit applies, however, under aggregation, if the SAA is HD 1.4S its NEM is not taken into account for the calculation of licensing......................................... bored yet .

Danger, lesson on how to such eggs to follow:

The Germans insist that all powder whether it's nitro or black has to be stored in a wooden box. This is to prevent people storing them in metal containers and causing what is called the confinement of explosives; the process of increasing the pressure inside a container and thus increasing the burning or detonation rate of the explosive. The result is a much more violent release of gasses. It's the principle used in pipe bombs and to open safes.

As good practice, I would not recommend storing any powder, not even Vectan (which they package as HD 1.4S), in a metal container. It would be better just sat on a shelf.

Just like all the powders on shop shelving.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

B500

You are right that it only applies to black powder but the storage provision of 'suitable wooden boxes' (my italics) is part of the Approved Codes of Practice in the Manufacture and Storage of Explosives Regulations 2005 and thus i would imagine is a legal requirement.

F

And it was confirmed by BASC that the wording in that document is incorrect, nitrocellulose/smokeless powders do not need to be stored the same way as black powder does.
    There's room for all Gods creatures ........... right next to the mash and gravy