Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting pigeons with a full bore rifle

Shooting pigeons with a full bore rifle

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel uncomfortable with this video? For one, shooting into trees where you can't see what's behind them (about 2 mins into the video). I'm also unsure of the legality of this all, do pigeons or other birds count as AOLQ on ones FAC? I suppose they could have an open ticket, but i'll be honest, this didn't strike me as safe, or sporting.

Maybe it is just me....

The backstops look "ok" from the camera angle, but trying to whack a pigeon sat on a dry stone wall is just inviting a ricochet.

Each to their own..
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

AOLQ yes covers all Legal quarry (the clue is in the name ) plenty shoot birds with bullet guns not Scatter guns

Whats an open ticket for to do with it as long as the grounds is cleared for their cal and they have legal permission

On the saftey they can see all the fields around the trees (when zoomed out ) and you dont know what they have done to check this and agree with the land owner about not using that field and the other guy spotting to check for any body going into the area behind the tress or not as its a video you can only view exactly what the camera sees dont know if they brushed their teeth that morning as they didnt show it

Pigeon on teh wall was not a good choice IMO

its not sport its pest control if you want sporting you just go out and pick up a sharp stick and rock on your way every thing else is technology loaded against he animal

I wasnt sure on the goose I thought only Canada geese where on general licence so no closed season for crop damage but again not 100% on that and the ymay have applied and got a Specific licence any way

not sure i like the Dramatic repeat and reverse on the slow mo of the hits

In one section there are sheep in the background, wouldn't take much of a ricochet

The one where he hit the wall (5:45) - i'm sure there was a road just behind which you can see when he zooms out. In theory could have ricochet in that direction.

I'm not criticising - just opening up for discussion. Discussion is how we learn Personally I would feel uncomfortable - but i'm inexperienced.

Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    The one where he hit the wall (5:45) - i'm sure there was a road just behind which you can see when he zooms out. In theory could have ricochet in that direction.

I'm not criticising - just opening up for discussion. Discussion is how we learn Personally I would feel uncomfortable - but i'm inexperienced.

yes thate the one shot I wouldn't have taken but it looked like a railway line to me definatly something

Fairly humane. When he hit the target. At least he was honest enough to show the ones he missed unlike many others I suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootist View Post
    Fairly humane.
    Can't get much more humane than hitting a pigeon with a .243! Looked like a pillow had exploded with pink mist!!
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

his ground , his responsibility to ensure its safe ?

things look different on camera to in the flesh so lets not start a trial by internet eh?
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post
    his ground , his responsibility to ensure its safe ?

things look different on camera to in the flesh so lets not start a trial by internet eh?

been doing this kind of pest control for years, and now looking to get a new calibre for areas where even a vehicle turning up makes them move,

i like to think it's more humane than some forms of control, and every shot is checked before I even point the rifle in the direction I need to.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube