Shooting pigeons with a full bore rifle

aris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXeRj2wjB9w

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel uncomfortable with this video? For one, shooting into trees where you can't see what's behind them (about 2 mins into the video). I'm also unsure of the legality of this all, do pigeons or other birds count as AOLQ on ones FAC? I suppose they could have an open ticket, but i'll be honest, this didn't strike me as safe, or sporting.

Maybe it is just me....

The backstops look "ok" from the camera angle, but trying to whack a pigeon sat on a dry stone wall is just inviting a ricochet.

Each to their own..

AOLQ yes covers all Legal quarry (the clue is in the name ;) ) plenty shoot birds with bullet guns not Scatter guns

Whats an open ticket for to do with it as long as the grounds is cleared for their cal and they have legal permission

On the saftey they can see all the fields around the trees (when zoomed out ) and you dont know what they have done to check this and agree with the land owner about not using that field and the other guy spotting to check for any body going into the area behind the tress or not as its a video you can only view exactly what the camera sees dont know if they brushed their teeth that morning as they didnt show it

Pigeon on teh wall was not a good choice IMO

its not sport its pest control if you want sporting you just go out and pick up a sharp stick and rock on your way every thing else is technology loaded against he animal

I wasnt sure on the goose I thought only Canada geese where on general licence so no closed season for crop damage but again not 100% on that and the ymay have applied and got a Specific licence any way

not sure i like the Dramatic repeat and reverse on the slow mo of the hits

The one where he hit the wall (5:45) - i'm sure there was a road just behind which you can see when he zooms out. In theory could have ricochet in that direction.

I'm not criticising - just opening up for discussion. Discussion is how we learn :) Personally I would feel uncomfortable - but i'm inexperienced.

The one where he hit the wall (5:45) - i'm sure there was a road just behind which you can see when he zooms out. In theory could have ricochet in that direction.

I'm not criticising - just opening up for discussion. Discussion is how we learn :) Personally I would feel uncomfortable - but i'm inexperienced.

yes thate the one shot I wouldn't have taken but it looked like a railway line to me definatly something

Fairly humane. When he hit the target. At least he was honest enough to show the ones he missed unlike many others I suspect.

his ground , his responsibility to ensure its safe ?

things look different on camera to in the flesh so lets not start a trial by internet eh?

his ground , his responsibility to ensure its safe ?

things look different on camera to in the flesh so lets not start a trial by internet eh?

been doing this kind of pest control for years, and now looking to get a new calibre for areas where even a vehicle turning up makes them move,

i like to think it's more humane than some forms of control, and every shot is checked before I even point the rifle in the direction I need to.

bob.

been doing this kind of pest control for years, and now looking to get a new calibre for areas where even a vehicle turning up makes them move,

i like to think it's more humane than some forms of control, and every shot is checked before I even point the rifle in the direction I need to.

bob.
260rem works well bob.

The chap is a good friend of mine. He is a good guy and knows his stuff. I travelled up there in May this year to shoot with him and to help run the POI stand at the northern shooting show as I am also an admin of his group. He has open license (plus AOLQ) and takes safe shots. The land he has is big...its up north and there is field upon field with not much public access. Its long range pest control and those calibres ensure accuracy and sure killing power for the distances shot over, as you see from the puffs of feathers. You see the camera zoom out on most occasions and can see how elevated they were for the tree shots, nothing but fields for the bullet to break up into. Note about the wall, chances of ricochet at that distance and angle are limited particularly due to the choice of ballistic tip fragmenting bullets.
Canada geese along with egyption geese can be shot all year around to prevent damage to land, along with pigeon etc on natural england's general licenses. There was a goose problem he was asked to deal with. And lead bullets can be used for wildfowl as the law on the lead ban specifically applies only to "lead shot" from a "smoothbore". Anyway, as he's my friend, that's my two pennies :)

Last edited:
I know Jonny as well. He would not take an unsafe shot. We have shot thousands of varmints/vermin together over the last year or so and I have never seen any unsafe firearm handling or seen him take anything but a safe calculated shot. Shooting is so much a part of his life, he would never risk his FAC by doing anything illegal or irresponsible. I am looking foreword to his next visit, we have a war on vermin to wage and a outfitting service to set up. :)

all shots looked safe apart from at 5:10 when the zoom out showed sheep behind and the pidgeon on the wall wasnt the greatest idea in the world but what really puts me off this is that its a just look at how good i am at long range shooting under the guise of pest control video, i'm fully aware of what damage pidgeons and geese can do but if there causing that much damage then just shotgun/small rifle them and do them the justice of harvesting the meat from them not just pillowcasing them and leaving them to rot, its stuff like this that plays into the anti's hands

all shots looked safe apart from at 5:10 when the zoom out showed sheep behind and the pidgeon on the wall wasnt the greatest idea in the world but what really puts me off this is that its a just look at how good i am at long range shooting under the guise of pest control video, i'm fully aware of what damage pidgeons and geese can do but if there causing that much damage then just shotgun/small rifle them and do them the justice of harvesting the meat from them not just pillowcasing them and leaving them to rot, its stuff like this that plays into the anti's hands

100% agree Just a Ego Boosting Chest Puffing exercise. And two Greylag doing damage on a Stubble field :cuckoo: Also he who shot the Greylag would do well to read up on the Law regarding shooting Wildfowl with a Rifle as unlike Canada Geese Greylag are not covered by AOLQ.

Not sure I would be too please if I lived inn the house immediately behind the goose. Its a fair way away and I don't know what calibre he was using but I wouldn't have wanted to be looking out of the window and seen that.

No doubt its good shooting but don't understand the need for the slow motion stuff or why he didn't sit in the treeline with a shotgun.

Back