Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buzzards

Buzzards

We run a small shoot and the number if buzzards is just growing and growing each year.! We have one pen with about 250 birds in and every day I'm picking up a kill from in the pen, often seeing a buzzard flying out from it. There's lots of bramble cover in there but not much medium height hazel e.t.c, so I think it's easy for the buzzard to just drop in on them. I was wondering if there's anything I can do to deter them? Or nothing!

Not to depress you, but buzzards often eat poults pretty much whole leaving only 3 or 4 feathers and a small slug-sized bit of intestine. You could well be losing more than you think.
    Can you plant some hazel...in 3 or 4 years you'll have cover. Dense bramble is usually good enough cover though. Have you tried adult guinea fowl in there?

Quote Originally Posted by Boarboy View Post
    We run a small shoot and the number if buzzards is just growing and growing each year.! We have one pen with about 250 birds in and every day I'm picking up a kill from in the pen, often seeing a buzzard flying out from it. There's lots of bramble cover in there but not much medium height hazel e.t.c, so I think it's easy for the buzzard to just drop in on them. I was wondering if there's anything I can do to deter them? Or nothing!
    As a temporary measure in open areas string old cd and dvd disks on fishing line.I am sure there will be plenty of good ideas coming your way.

Eagle owl decoys deter buzzards.... They're a very real threat to them in the wild where heir paths cross. Might be worth trying.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Buzzards can be a real pain and they can be extremely persistent in going after poults. Not only do they kill poults but will carry on taking them till they're full grown. As well as killing them they cause a great deal of stress, none of it good.
    I tried eagle Owl decoys, strung fishing line across pens ( very difficult in the case of larger pens) hung cds and bits of mirror and still they took the birds. Once started they are extremely difficult to stop. Sorry to be a pessimist but they caused me grief for years.

We use a radio tuned to Radio Devon. No buzzards!

We also cut lots of spinly birch/rowans at about 1m height and then bent the top bit down to the ground to create lots of 'tentpole' structures which the poults can easily run under and which disrupt the buzzard (or goshawk in our case) swooping in. If you only partially cut them through they grow back to make numerous small shelters over the coming years.

Finally, we found most of the kills were along the pen fence, perhaps because that is where the cover is least or where the birds bunch up, so we laid out branches at ~2m intervals against the fence from the gorund to make a sort of tunnel in exposed places. Again, this disrupts the raptor from swooping in.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamar View Post
    We use a radio tuned to Radio Devon. No buzzards!
    That's enough to put anything off!

I had a really large pen in a wood with very dense cover you would never think a buzzard would be able to swoop in on a poult. What they quickly learned to do was to drop like a stone straight down on to a poult. It really was impossible to stop them, the old birds both did it and the two young learned the same trick, lovely birds but I put them above the fox as the top predator on my shoot. At least you could do something about the foxes!

Never had any bother whatsoever from Buzzards with the pheasant poults, partridge poults though is another matter, they slay them.

I have hung green debris netting ( ebay) all different lengths and at different heights and angles
    to stop them getting a clear view and run in at birds....two years with no problems (touch wood)